bichir newbie from texas!

overdrive

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2016
Hey, I'm a newbie to the monster fish arena - goldfish don't really count, despite their size and messmaking. I'm the proud owner of a fat albino bichir named Udon and a tiny little ornate named Brutus. Plus a blood and kirin parrot, as yet unnamed.

Mostly here to do some further reading on diet for my noodles, but I figured I would make an account anyway.

Also a few pictures of my goldies just for fun! These are two different tanks, by the way.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Welcome to MFK. Your goldfish are adorable! And I love the fact that you name your fish, makes me feel a little less crazy for naming mine. :D

overdrive

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2016
As a rule I'll name an animal if they A.) live for a reasonable period of time and B.) are visually distinct from other animals of the same species and variety.

My school of rainbows is named "Many", which is probably silly but most people seem to get a kick out of that. I had a large school of barbs named "Legion" for a while as well.

Reactions: HumanBean

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Cool. All my 'groups' of fish are named after bands with the equivalent number of members. I like being able to say that I'm watching Queen and Matchbox20 squabble over food. :D

overdrive

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2016
Whimsical names are the most fun, and since you don't have to call for them there's no reason not to go hog wild with it.

Oh, I just realized I forgot the goldfish names! The calico telescope is Starlord, the red oranda is Fireball, the red and white oranda is Madame (she had a beauty mark when she was small), the lemon ranchu is Solar, and the blue oranda is Lunar.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Awesome! I have a blue oranda named "Finn Lee Like Bruce Lee Only Finn Lee" or, Finn-Lee for short. :D

Reactions: overdrive

overdrive

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2016
That's a cute name! Starlord and Brutus are the only ones named after an actual person/character. But I think it's neat when people come up with clever variations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store