Bichir slime coat loss or bacteria fungus?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey guys,

Recently I moved my 15 in lapradei bichir to a smaller 30 gallon tank for the time being since I wanted to rescape my aquarium. That would prove to be one of my worst decisions since the bichir was super unhappy and kept jumping and hitting the glass for 2 days. Started developing red lips and losing slime coat. I decided to add her back into the main tank which is planted and much larger (something I was gonna do 1 month later to guarantee plant growth but had to do it earlier since I didn’t want my fish to die). Moving the bichir was a hassle and she ended up losing a bit more slime coat when I tried catching her to the main tank.

She has settled in now with no issues and her lips are growing in and not red anymore. However, I noticed these fizzy patches on her skin. I’m wondering whether this is just missing slime coat or a bacteria infection. Will be doing a major water change today and monitoring her. I would have dosed aquarium salt by now but since the tank is planted, I’d rather not since it would kill all my plants. Let me know what I should do and whether this is something to be majorly concerned about ( It has been 3 days since moving the bichir to the new tank and I didn’t see any patches in those 2 days). Thanks again everyone!

313D8D1C-9F61-4265-8377-E8BF05C5F865.jpeg

147900CA-0654-46D8-A0BC-F4336FDCB771.jpeg

43926DE6-D956-4DEC-948E-F698BB180083.jpeg

30E01101-8B24-471C-8445-802B1202E6D3.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Don’t looks like much. Maybe a little slimecoat left over. Don’t look like fungus. Keep doing the water changes. It should improve. Update as it goes.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store