Big tank

little monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2005
Holland
www.geocities.com
Thanks for the info.

But I was unter the impression that snakeheads have bigger mouths than bichirs...and could swallow quite big fish for their size....I'm more worried for the butterfly fish being eaten that the bichir since the latter is bigger. C.bleheri is such a pretty and cool fish (as are the bichir and butterfly fish)

But I'll make sure that the fish are about equal in size if I put them together so they can't harm each other.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Yes Snakeheads do have large mouths but I would say both the Bichir and the Butterfly would be safe from swallowing as long as they were introduced at a similar size and grew at a similer rate.

As Snakeheads go Bleheri is not overly aggressive and will not get big enough to swallow an adult Butterfly and as you have said Bichir.

You should have a look at Channa Sp. Assam an undiscribed species regularly breed in captivity. Very much like Bleheri but a fraction smaller with more blue colouration. Sometimes called Blue bleheri although it is a different species. Only downside is usually a bit more expensive. I'm trying to get a pair myself.

Looking forward to seeing a pic of your original project. Has it moved on any further?

little monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2005
Holland
www.geocities.com
Unfortunately not :( , the guy that will make the tank for me is very busy. But I expect that he can start in a week or two. So I have to be patient...but I have some other tanks that can keep me occupied.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
get any further on this awesome project yet?Ive got to c what this turns out like!

wffsoccer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
ND
I think I got a better idea, fill the bottom with hundreds of amazon sword plants, and then add approx. 1000 neon tetras. That would look sweet :).....or get snakeheads :)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I am also a fan of african butterfly fish and have kept them in community tanks with similar sized fish, I have even had them breed a few times, it was very cool to see the little ones one day when I was trimming the plants, I don't even mind that they gobble down the occasional neon or guppy. Have you seen the dwarf gouramis? Colisa lalia.

fw_gourami.jpg

gourami_neon_blue_male_02.jpg

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I had an 80 gal with the Southeast Asia riverarm theme. With the accurate flaura & fauna (mostly cryptocoryne, kuhliis, macropodus opercularis). That is an awesome project!!!

We seem to have the same taste in fish - I just bought five butterfly fish for my 220 gal. :D That should take care of my swordtail fry. I slowly want to phase out anything non-African in my tank.

Way to go! :thumbsup:

HarleyK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store