Black Ghost and Plant Compatibility

aidenboyjon

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2021
Japan
sorry to contradict but swords would not show immense growth without ferts but it can very well survive without them.
I'm not looking for fast just large/long/tall growth. It's mainly about removing eyesight from each other when they might start getting aggressive with each other. The other issue is that I haven't found my hardscape spots yet that give me a perfect natural feel to it. Which is why I'm not too fond to use Val. the runners would kind of prevent me from being able to hardscape around them without it looking like I did so. It's kind of a catch-22. If I put the hardscape down, they'll naturally grow around it, which will make the plants look naturally placed but not the hard scape, and vice versa if I were to place the hardscape around the val. I feel like a plant that I can snip and place to propagate new plants will let me have full control over the natural feel of the tank.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
sorry to contradict but swords would not show immense growth without ferts but it can very well survive without them.
Swords are heavy root feeders. So unless the substrate is rich in nutrients which sand is not I'd advise against them. They will survive for a while but most likely it's just wasted money.

Root tabs would be very useful in this situation, easy solution to having to add ferts.

Maybe try crypts? Don't need extra ferts, they use ammonia very well as a food source, some types even look kind of like some swords. Check out ponterdifolia, and if looking for "grass" or "seaweed" like plants spiralis or balansae.

I keep my fish room at 80. Water temps in the fry tanks range from 76 to 80. No lights on the tanks just indirect light from near by windows for 6-8hrs a day. No substrate at all. Very hard high pH well water that most plants fail in. Anacharis grows very well for me in these conditions.

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
Swords are heavy root feeders. So unless the substrate is rich in nutrients which sand is not I'd advise against them. They will survive for a while but most likely it's just wasted money.

Root tabs would be very useful in this situation, easy solution to having to add ferts.

Maybe try crypts? Don't need extra ferts, they use ammonia very well as a food source, some types even look kind of like some swords. Check out ponterdifolia, and if looking for "grass" or "seaweed" like plants spiralis or balansae.

I keep my fish room at 80. Water temps in the fry tanks range from 76 to 80. No lights on the tanks just indirect light from near by windows for 6-8hrs a day. No substrate at all. Very hard high pH well water that most plants fail in. Anacharis grows very well for me in these conditions.
Yep crypts would be a good option. But do expect sloooww... growth

Reactions: aidenboyjon

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If your after good growth, something which anchors in the sand but doesn’t use it for fert and you can snip and move, then your back to hygrophilia, probably polysperma or similar or the taller varieties if you can let them grow slightly out of the water, then they grow stronger still.

aidenboyjon

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2021
Japan
If your after good growth, something which anchors in the sand but doesn’t use it for fert and you can snip and move, then your back to hygrophilia, probably polysperma or similar or the taller varieties if you can let them grow slightly out of the water, then they grow stronger still.
I have polysperma otw so basically my best option.

My issue with those species is that they look too much like just grass. What I mean when I said seaweed is that it grows tall and has a forest like look/thickness to it. Personally I think Hornwort looks best and would fill this foresty look the best. The only problem I have is my concern with BGK being skin fish and if whether or not they can harm them with their needles. I need it to grow thick and tall but not look like just giant blades of grass. It gives me this honey we shrunk the kids vibe rather than underwater forest vibe. I really wish I wasn't so scared to use Co2 and ferts (I've read how they can be dangerous to your fish) but I just get this feeling that if I do, it'll become more about the plants than the fish, and while I am of the mindset that my fish will always come first, the work that I put in to the plants over my fish would just make me feel like they matter more than my fish. If that makes sense?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have polysperma otw so basically my best option.

My issue with those species is that they look too much like just grass. What I mean when I said seaweed is that it grows tall and has a forest like look/thickness to it. Personally I think Hornwort looks best and would fill this foresty look the best. The only problem I have is my concern with BGK being skin fish and if whether or not they can harm them with their needles. I need it to grow thick and tall but not look like just giant blades of grass. It gives me this honey we shrunk the kids vibe rather than underwater forest vibe. I really wish I wasn't so scared to use Co2 and ferts (I've read how they can be dangerous to your fish) but I just get this feeling that if I do, it'll become more about the plants than the fish, and while I am of the mindset that my fish will always come first, the work that I put in to the plants over my fish would just make me feel like they matter more than my fish. If that makes sense?
Yes it makes sense.
Hornwort is soft it won't harm the bgk. Ive used it in a tank with caecilians, they used to sit right in it. If anything they did damage to the plants.

Reactions: aidenboyjon

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
exactly what I was hoping :D. how tall did your hornwort get?
Well it was a 75g tank so pretty much right to the top of the water. I'd cut it from time to time. Main issue was the caecilians would break it with their foraging, play, and sometimes fighting. Most of what broke off I'd toss in the flower bed as it wasn't worth taking anywhere to try and sell. I had to use anchors to hold it down also, mine would never "root" so they'd push it around alot too.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I think over time the problem would be that it all ends up floating.
Another great plant for growth but eventually ending up floating is limnophilia sessiflora.

Giant vallis is a subspecies and as the name suggests grows much bigger than ordinary vallis, stems being up to 2” wide and 6ft long or more. Vallisnaria gigantea

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store