Black wood catfish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have a suction cupped wall decor against the glass. The jag cat is in there. Easy to see it and snap a photo. So gotta say the jag catfish.

Don't help that the Trachy is jet black and blends in all the unlit areas lol.

Oh well....it'll be like a Bigfoot sighting next time. I'll run to get my phone to snap a pic and then it's gone lol.

Reactions: koltsixx and moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Still no pics but hanging around in the ceramic log. Doing well.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Interesting yours is still shy. My girl comes out for food no problem. Light or no light. Funny thing I noticed is she's the only fish that ever turns on me when I pet during a wc, so last time I did one I put a ruler to the side of her body gently and left it and she turned and started trying to bite it lol. I'd expect the wolf or wyckii to bite me first but nope. The wolf is actually starting to let me handle him more, I was able to pick him up a little and move him around in the water with no fuss, he's got thick I can't rap my hand around him lol. Sun catfish is the only other one that lets me do this. Wyckii I can only pet. And the odoe and gold I can't do nothing to.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Sorry I never saw this Trachy thread kno4te. For me, my Trachys where way more active and out going then my Oncinus. I only say where cause the Oncinus got rehomed. And I never had issue with them being shy but that maybe because mine where purchased as juvies and I was able to pellet train them quickly.

By the way is your Trachy eating pellets? I got mine onto sinking by throwing them in with black and blood worms and in short order they associated the pellets with food. They seem to have a keen sense with those whiskers as IME they where always the first bottom dweller to detect food had been introduced to their tank. That includes pellets. It seems like the minute the pellets hit the water they come out of hiding searching. Once they start knowing what they can eat you'll find they come out of hiding easily for food.

I don't know if it holds true with all Trachys but mine loved what I think used to be called Hikari Aro Sticks. I know Hikari still sells floating sticks with Aro's pictured so I imagine they renamed them or I'm just recollecting incorrectly. Either way they where able to sense those pellets right a way and would come to the surface to eat them greedily. Often times grunting at each other and the other fish competing for said pellets.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Interesting yours is still shy. My girl comes out for food no problem. Light or no light. Funny thing I noticed is she's the only fish that ever turns on me when I pet during a wc, so last time I did one I put a ruler to the side of her body gently and left it and she turned and started trying to bite it lol. I'd expect the wolf or wyckii to bite me first but nope. The wolf is actually starting to let me handle him more, I was able to pick him up a little and move him around in the water with no fuss, he's got thick I can't rap my hand around him lol. Sun catfish is the only other one that lets me do this. Wyckii I can only pet. And the odoe and gold I can't do nothing to.
Lol, she turns on you because she's a glutton. Does yours eat at the surface? It's the easiest time to pet them. They will lean back to see if your hand is edible but will quickly ignore it once they realize it's not a food and concentrate on grabbing what they can.

I'm impressed that the wolf lets you handle him. I think I said it before I always thought they'd be too high on alert to tolerate it. And he sounds like he's really putting on size. I'm also surprised by the Wyckii allowing itself to be touched, figured it'd be too aggressive. Way to go getting them used to handling. Someday it maybe helpful. Like if you had to apply antibiotic or something along those lines.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Lol, she turns on you because she's a glutton. Does yours eat at the surface? It's the easiest time to pet them. They will lean back to see if your hand is edible but will quickly ignore it once they realize it's not a food and concentrate on grabbing what they can.
I know it was an annoyed bite because she held her mouth open until she touched the ruler then but down and shook her head like a shark, it was funny, but I left her alone after, don't wanna stress her to much. I'm sure she'll come along. And I haven't seen her eat off of the surface yet, but I've seen her swim up towards it after clearing the pellets but she shies away 3/4 of the way.

I'm impressed that the wolf lets you handle him. I think I said it before I always thought they'd be too high on alert to tolerate it. And he sounds like he's really putting on size. I'm also surprised by the Wyckii allowing itself to be touched, figured it'd be too aggressive. Way to go getting them used to handling. Someday it maybe helpful. Like if you had to apply antibiotic or something along those lines.
My old mala used to let me get him out the water, I don't think wolves are bad at all. Aimara might be different though. They've been the only fish I can get out the water though. I did get the curu out a little but he started to swim out of my hand so I stopped pulling him up. I always start off at their tails and move up gradually. I can pet the wyckiis head now. There's a vid on YouTube of a guy handfeeding a big one and even petting it. TBTB said he used to be able to handle his wyckii as well.

Also regarding your response to kno4te, I think my jag is overall more active than my Trachy still, the trachy comes out for food, the jag is out every morning. And I agree the trachy is the first to the good in my tank as well. He comes out as soon as any food hits the water as well. Also my bag is still more vocal than my trachy, I'm not sure what the trachy sounds like exactly because of this, hopefully it changes lol

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Got this guy at a thick 7inches. Had a common wildcat years ago and acts the same way. But this is the first time I've seen it out so a good sign.

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store