Black wood catfish

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry I never saw this Trachy thread kno4te. For me, my Trachys where way more active and out going then my Oncinus. I only say where cause the Oncinus got rehomed. And I never had issue with them being shy but that maybe because mine where purchased as juvies and I was able to pellet train them quickly.

By the way is your Trachy eating pellets? I got mine onto sinking by throwing them in with black and blood worms and in short order they associated the pellets with food. They seem to have a keen sense with those whiskers as IME they where always the first bottom dweller to detect food had been introduced to their tank. That includes pellets. It seems like the minute the pellets hit the water they come out of hiding searching. Once they start knowing what they can eat you'll find they come out of hiding easily for food.

I don't know if it holds true with all Trachys but mine loved what I think used to be called Hikari Aro Sticks. I know Hikari still sells floating sticks with Aro's pictured so I imagine they renamed them or I'm just recollecting incorrectly. Either way they where able to sense those pellets right a way and would come to the surface to eat them greedily. Often times grunting at each other and the other fish competing for said pellets.
Currently this is the first sight of eating. I tried other types of food. I think it finally got hungry. So far vaccummed up massivore pellets.

Not sure but the ceramic log has a bunch of polys in it. They all squeeze in there with the trachy. It seems to really like being in there and the feeling of squeezed in with the other bichirs.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Mine too have been getting bolder, now all leaving their lair to vigorously feed every feeding instead of sporadically and not all of them. My lighting is dim though always.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You're confusing me kno4te lol I forget the name of the threads too. Nice to hear both of yours are coming around. Mine is pretty established. Doesn't let anyone try to take her hide. I was surprised when she fended off the wyckii easily. And she bully's her way through to the food with her head; that's if anyone gets there before her ofcourse

Reactions: kno4te

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice! Yummy pellets. I thought there'd be no way it will eat all of those pellets but it pretty much did! Mine feed in the exact same way - the moves, the pace, the quirks all the same.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store