Blood parrot tank mates

JustinJay1996

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2020
I haven’t been on in awhile due to phone not being active and not affording internet but I’m back!
I bought my girlfriend 3 blood parrots for our 75 gallon. It has a geophagus pearl cichlid and a geophagus balzani. The geophagus pearl cichlid looks like it’s not doing to well and is in quarantine. We suspect he may pass soon. Everything is small and young right now. I will be in a house next summer instead of a apartment and will be upgrading to a 150-200 gallon as soon as that happens.
My question is I want to keep only cichlids in there. What kind of cichlid tank mates can I keep with the blood parrots?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I keep mine in a 60 with a Jack Dempsey, convict, severum (up until last week, the leporinus was too rough on him so I had to move it), and a banded leporinus. Bp is fine with all of them, picks fights occasionally but isn’t too mean. Of all of them, he got along best with the sev, i definitely recommend them as a tank mate.

JustinJay1996

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2020
I keep mine in a 60 with a Jack Dempsey, convict, severum (up until last week, the leporinus was too rough on him so I had to move it), and a banded leporinus. Bp is fine with all of them, picks fights occasionally but isn’t too mean. Of all of them, he got along best with the sev, i definitely recommend them as a tank mate.
The Jack Dempsey isn’t too aggressive for the BPs?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They are all still young, so it’s hard to say, but have been together for almost a year with almost no aggression. I think they look different enough to not really care and the leporinus keeps everyone in line. We’ll see what happens when the jd outgrows the bp though.
You also are gonna have a much bigger tank than mine, so that should help things.

Reactions: JustinJay1996
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store