Blueberry Oscar...........horrible thing.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I saw a blueberry oscar at a small petstore - never heard of it before. Chick swears up and down it's a natural strain - $5 what the heck om impulse I bought it - figure I'd see what happens. Googled the fish - horrific results - Albino Oscar man altred fish thru torturing acid bath w/ blue dye - results an Oscar that's bluish w/ a depleted ammune system , substantard growth, and an extremely shortened life-span............most, according to an article, never make it alive for a whole year and the dye only lasts 3 months - WHY? - why would someone do this to a fish? Boy do I feel stupid. Especially after being at That Fish Place earlier where they have wild caught common Oscars for $10 + 20% off this weekend.

My first thought , Scooby snack for the Hoplias Malabaricus, put'm out of his misery quick and easy. But Ireally don't want to harm the Wolf w/ dye.

Then - take it back, rather not see lil' johnny watch his new wet pet die for a lousey $5.

Next thought craigslist or MFK................free Blueberry Oscar.

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
Taking it back seems sensible, as you can tell them they gave false info!
Better get yourself an undyed one and enjoy him for many years!
good luck!

josear1286

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2009
Panama
you should keep it im sure he will get a better traetment with you then back at the store

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
thats HORRIBLE! it somehow still amazes me when i hear all these cruel things people do for greed it really shouldnt anymore, from the amount of crazy, cruel things you learn of people doing but it never stops to amaze me :(

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Take it back and tell them you will not do patronize their store anymore! Get another normal Oscar. Put this experiace behind you, it really stinks what people will do for a buck!

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
It's sad what people do for money now. Has money became more important than other lives, the lives of fellow fish?

A long time ago it was just for exotics not man made fish! Now look what've human kind has done to other species. Do we not get the same treatment that we do to other species? Those people should feel pitiful for what the've done to the poor oscar.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Keep an provide the best for it as you can. It will be a nice little reminder for you to research before buying.

You should also print out the research you did and give it to the gal at the LFS, she may not really know the truth.

esparonisproud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
seychelles
i would say keep it im sure with a good diet and great care (which no doubt u will offer) that poor o will live a good life rather than goin to the lfs and dye from overcrowding or more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store