Branching out challenge

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 you forgot to add on the list of fish to branch out and keep
1. Coelacanth
2. Great white shark
3. Bluefin Tuna
4. Beluga Sturgeon
5.Latimeria

Last edited:

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Deadliestviper7 Deadliestviper7 you forgot to add on the list of fish to branch out and keep
1. Coelacanth
2. Great white shark
3. Bluefin Tuna
4. Beluga Sturgeon
5. Hippopotamus (although they need land as well to bask)
One of that list I’ve actually seen kept .....in fact I’ve seen it kept by several people

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
One of that list I’ve actually seen kept .....in fact I’ve seen it kept by several people
Hippo or beluga. I’m scratching my head about the other ones

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
We need to challenge ourselves to branch out in the fish we keep, try new species and new things, there's more to fish than cichlids, and more to Community tanks than central/South American fish, more to African fish than bichirs and syno cats, try new fish, new setups and go beyond what everyone else is doing.

Do you accept the challenge?
if I could get another tank but my parents won't let me

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
1. Coelacanth
2. Great white shark
3. Bluefin Tuna
4. Beluga Sturgeon
5.Latimeria
A Coelacanth would be awesome to have.

Reactions: PGJE and Matteus

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Yeah the fish listed are a little bit of a head scratcher the list is not realistic and most are game fish. Unless they're farmed for stocking or food, legally a lot would be tough to keep. Even finding a source for burbot and arctic char would be impossible. Then to keep a tank up to species standards with temperatures in the 40s is a challenge in itself.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah the fish listed are a little bit of a head scratcher the list is not realistic and most are game fish. Unless they're farmed for stocking or food, legally a lot would be tough to keep. Even finding a source for burbot and arctic char would be impossible. Then to keep a tank up to species standards with temperatures in the 40s is a challenge in itself.
yeah, and if I'm not mistaken it's illegal to take home a game fish (or wild fish) for an aquarium

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
yeah, and if I'm not mistaken it's illegal to take home a game fish (or wild fish) for an aquarium
It's not illegal you just need to meet the states requirements to keep the species. Like in PA panfish ( sunfish, perch, crappie) have no size restrictions on 98% of all bodies of water excpet panfish enhanced lakes which do. So you can collect up to 50 a day at any size you want for an aquarium. Now take PA bass for example. Bass sometimes in the year are 15" minimum and others 12" and from April to Mid June closed. So you'd have to work around the time of year you wanted to collect and collect the proper minimum size. Next issue would be you'd need the aquarium to meet the size requirement of an already large fish.

Now if the fish is from a hatchery the size requirement is out the window.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store