breeding crenicichla regani

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Can u get a hold of some almond leaves? If so, litter the bottom with them.
i was thinking about softening the water a bit. i'll order some, thats a good idea. anyone have thoughts on the viability of corys as dithers? i have some in a different tank that i could add in here. i feel like it wouldnt be the best choice because they are active at night and might get to the eggs or fry and the parents might just ignore them. would be my cheapest option though, haha

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
Your Kh and Gh are something you should know. Especially, out of your tap. At 7.4 your ph is fine. I wouldn't mess with the Ph. You could add some oak leaves to soften the water some. But I dont thinks its needed. Unless your GH is crazy high. Just be prepared for some tannis in the water if you add leaves

Reactions: Wiggie

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
acorrding to the 2016 test results from the city of winnipeg (if this answers the question)

Solids, Total Dissolved parts per million average 184 range 165 to 205
Alkalinity, Total parts per million as calcium carbonate no guideline 66 58 to 78 -
Alkalinity, Bicarbonate parts per million no guideline 79 75 to 83 -
Alkalinity, Carbonate parts per million no guideline <0.60 <0.60 to <0.60 -
Alkalinity, Hydroxide parts per million no guideline <0.34 <0.34 to <0.34 -
Hardness, Total parts per million as calcium carbonate no guideline 82 74 to 90

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
i was thinking about softening the water a bit. i'll order some, thats a good idea. anyone have thoughts on the viability of corys as dithers? i have some in a different tank that i could add in here. i feel like it wouldnt be the best choice because they are active at night and might get to the eggs or fry and the parents might just ignore them. would be my cheapest option though, haha
Personally I wouldn't do corys. I feel like a mid or upper level dither would be better as the parents will hopefully be patrolling the bottom, female guarding eggs. Are you going to remove the male once they've spawned? Regani are pretty gentle pikes but he still might kill her believe it or not. I guess if you have the right dithers, violence could be avoided all together. I think a male dwarf pike could do some serious damage to corys. Get something faster that will swim the length of the tank...

Reactions: jamntoast

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Personally I wouldn't do corys. I feel like a mid or upper level dither would be better as the parents will hopefully be patrolling the bottom, female guarding eggs. Are you going to remove the male once they've spawned? Regani are pretty gentle pikes but he still might kill her believe it or not. I guess if you have the right dithers, violence could be avoided all together. I think a male dwarf pike could do some serious damage to corys. Get something faster that will swim the length of the tank...
That's what I was thinking. If the tank was covered I'd do hatchet fish but it's not completely covered. Maybe Buenos Aires tetra or like a live bearer so not only will there be dithers but also live food.

Reactions: Wiggie

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
That's what I was thinking. If the tank was covered I'd do hatchet fish but it's not completely covered. Maybe Buenos Aires tetra or like a live bearer so not only will there be dithers but also live food.
Yes! Cant wait to see how it goes. Keep us posted!

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
So an interesting development, this pair still hasn't done anything but in another tank I was keeping another pair and it looks like they are spawning! I'm thinking I'll leave them be with this clutch, if there is in fact a clutch, because the first one is usually small or doesnt make it/get fertilized. If they spawn again I'll pull the next one. I'm disappointed it wasn't in the tank I set up for this, I would have liked to leave them with the parents to grow out but oh well. Roll with the punches. Here's a video

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store