Breeding worms in an aquarium?

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
not to bad. I used frabill worm bedding
https://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Fat-...EA/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276298710293&psc=1

and only mix in stuff like lettuce, grass clippings etc. you cant just throw anything in there.
i also use uncle jim worms

Reactions: Rob909

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
oh and one other thing, earthworms eat dirt and these worms from uncle jims actually eat plant matter. if you were to put the earthworms in here they most likely will die as my first go around with the bucket farm did.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
oh and one other thing, earthworms eat dirt and these worms from uncle jims actually eat plant matter. if you were to put the earthworms in here they most likely will die as my first go around with the bucket farm did.
Good call, I was just going to get worms from Walmart.

Reactions: BichirKing

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Californian black worms do well in aquatic conditions. I have some in my hillstream loach tank I introduced last year. They're aquatic, and require a cycled tank.
How did you get started with the black worm colony? Just introduce them into the sand and let them take off?

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
How did you get started with the black worm colony? Just introduce them into the sand and let them take off?
Yes,as simple as that. They seem to like fish food left overs. They also like hiding under stones...easy to catch with the net if you are looking for them afterwards. They are apparently sensitive so a cycled tank is best.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I’m kicking around the idea of black worms or daphnia cultures in my sump. Then, as they got pulled into the aquarium by the return pump, the fish could eat them. All while having a safe place to culture in the sump.
My sump is lit because I grow pothos and I have a couple moss balls in it.

Any ideas here would help. Would I need a thin layer of sand for the black worms?
It currently has a filter sock, then the section with plants, heaters and bags of ceramic rings. Then it spills over a filter sponge into the return chamber.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Yes,I would think a thin layer of sand would be needed. Black worms are not free floating but if you stir the sand they,ll come out. The light is no problem

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store