Buddy the BP

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Buddy is a unique creature, it’s difficulty to really pick one side of her temperament. Most times she is chill, shying away from the glass or hiding in her cave. Other times, when she was in the African cichlid tank, she harassed the brightest color fish even though she was the beta female in the tank. I’m waiting for the day when she settles in and has her digs figured out.
One thing is for sure, she is not keen on the sand removal process, still have the nibble mark to prove that.
I see now it wasn’t a fair position to put her in with the larger Texan in that she was going to try to claim alpha tank boss even if she is worse for the effort. I guess my thought was being a hybrid Texan, seemed docile enough to try it. But not in Buddy’s eyes. She saw a large fish and must have sensed boss presence being questioned.
Thankfully, for now she is back to her chill state swimming with some baby fantail goldfish. Maybe it was my guilt but I rescaped the hospital just for her. She has a new hide and the option of gravel or sand and even a few small decorations she can move around as she sees fit.
So begins and end Buddy’s fighting days.
This is good to hear that you fixed the situation. Give Buddy a happy and stimulating environment and she should do well. The more you observe her and interact the better a handle you'll get on her personality. One of mine has a flamboyant personality, one a straightforward personality, one a complex personality, and the other a quirky personality.

Funny thing, even their tanks reflect their personality. Kong likes a messy tank...piles stuff up sideways. She won't leave anything in place and is constantly 'decorating.' Patch likes an orderly tank. Once its the way she wants she pretty much leaves stuff alone. Boss is in the big tank but he likes to dig and doesn't like red plants (he pulls them up). Tango piles sand in corners and makes walls of plants like partitions.

Fish have moods too, so they aren't going to act any one way all the time.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
This is good to hear that you fixed the situation. Give Buddy a happy and stimulating environment and she should do well. The more you observe her and interact the better a handle you'll get on her personality. One of mine has a flamboyant personality, one a straightforward personality, one a complex personality, and the other a quirky personality.

Funny thing, even their tanks reflect their personality. Kong likes a messy tank...piles stuff up sideways. She won't leave anything in place and is constantly 'decorating.' Patch likes an orderly tank. Once its the way she wants she pretty much leaves stuff alone. Boss is in the big tank but he likes to dig and doesn't like red plants (he pulls them up). Tango piles sand in corners and makes walls of plants like partitions.

Fish have moods too, so they aren't going to act any one way all the time.
You probably get tired of answering this, what size of tanks do you have your BP’s in?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yes, for me the 38s are becoming high maintenance with the water changes because of their size. Plus the water will be more consistently stable parameters.

Buddy should get big in a 55. If you've ever seen a really big parrot they are impressive. Although some stay on the smaller size, it depends on genetics too. When I got mine there was a huge female parrot that looked like Patch (might have been her mother) but she was floaty and full of eggs. Big as a grapefruit.

Reactions: Dalfrey86

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
This igit just earned the name BLOOD parrot. Was removing some sand from the tank when the little booger came up and bit me 6 to 8 times in seconds. Freaking turdburgler lost his special treat tonight.
Wow, my Blood Parrot run every time I do a water change. You have a lot on your hands right now.

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Yeah, but I’m going to love this little BP. One day we will have an agreement between what she needs and how I can make it happen.
Till than, she is queen of the QT. Her lips have healed up quickly. I’m just holding her back as a precautionary measure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store