C. Fowleri vs C. Apurensis

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
According to Wolfgng Ros in his published article in 2008 comparing c. apurensis and c. nigricaudis, his nigricaudis had reached 18". It wasn't mentioned how old the fish was and possibly could have grown larger since? With cephalosilurus species in general their growth slows with age as to length but with apurensis, their girth increases as adults as much as length. Viktor has attempted to contact Mr. Ros for more information without success as he too has kept both species in the past as well. Good luck in finding c. nigricaudis, I was hoping to find one too but have never seen one for sale. They being from Surinam, a country not known for live fish exports and according to FishBase they also exist in Guyana. According to the article mentioned, fish collected in Surinam are sometimes trans-shipped to Venezuela or Colombia and the origin of collection point is usually unknown. This translates in the same dilemma as with finding a c. fowleri that ultimately turns out to be a more common apurensis, same could happen with trying to get a 'real' nigricaudis. Still you never know, I've had incredible luck a few times getting some really rare and even unidentified species over the years. The "chase" is part of intrigue in finding rare fish, as with all things, right place, right time, a spare tank and what you're willing to pay...

Reactions: moe214

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
About rare Cephalosilurus species, this the 4th among the genus, cephalosilurus albomarginatus from the Potaro River, a tributary of the Essequibo River in Guyana…Cephalosulurus Albomarginatus jpg.jpg
I'd buy a new tank just for one of these...

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
This genus is very interesting, been intrigued the past week or two by them lol reading what I can.

jowens

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Moe214, even if you have your heart set on one of the other three species, I think apurensis are enjoyable to keep. Mine is rarely in his cave. In fact, when he is hungry, he actively cruises his tank, even it's in his slow motion way.
I highly recommend them.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Moe214, even if you have your heart set on one of the other three species, I think apurensis are enjoyable to keep. Mine is rarely in his cave. In fact, when he is hungry, he actively cruises his tank, even it's in his slow motion way.
I highly recommend them.
Oh I don't plan to keep one, not yet anyway, but one day. My biggest of two tanks is the 120 and I couldn't risk my curupira lol, nor do I feel it's big enough for an apurensis, maybe fowleri, but as stated the fish is rare, and still a risk. I made this thread out of curiosity and so some info is out there for others to view.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Many thanks, Kirk. Great geography refresher on Cephalosilurus.

Kirk, Yellowcat Yellowcat you surely must know Wesley Wong (aka Fugupuff on MFK; former owner of Rare Fish) exports precisely out of Surinam and Guyana, no?

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Hey Viktor, thanks for the tip, yeah I know Wes, great guy, been to his store many years ago, like maybe ten, still have a pair of p. bufonis I got from him. I know that lately it seems his focus has been on rare Asian stuff, didn't know about Surinam/Guyana imports, well now….

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Rapps has an apurensis in. Assuming the fish he has is the one he posted a picture of, it seems very orange. Curious what Yellowcat Yellowcat thinks of its ID, haven't reached out for pictures, again curiosity. Maybe if I reach out for locale I'd get my answer lol but that's not as fun as guessing
IMG_1810.PNG

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I'm sorry I missed this thread. A Apurensis was my very first rare fish purchase and I'm pretty sure what led me to MFK. I had taken my very first trip to Shark Aquarium and was lucky enough to come across both Apurensis and Fowleri. I chose the Apurensis because of it's cheaper price and I didn't care for Fowleri's flattened face. The other differences yellowcat listed are there but it was the head and coloration that really stood out to me as a novice.

In person and side by side the differences between Fowleri and Apurensis IME are very noticeable. All of Shark Aquariums Cephalosilurus where contained in two side by side tanks and the two species where mixed in both tanks. They had no where to hide, the tanks where shallow and the lighting more then sufficient, so viewing them was easy. I became a Shark Aquarium regular and these guys did not sell well. Sitting there for month after month with no noticeable difference in number. My separation from my wife led to an extended gap between my visit to Shark Aquarium and I would forever regret not picking up Fowleri when I could. Shark Aquarium eventually sold all of them and every time since I never saw Flwoeri again. The tanks would be labeled as though there where Fowleri and Apurensis in them but it was always only Apurensis actually in them.

I always wanted to dedicate a species only tank to an Apurensis. Mine wasn't aggressive per say with his tankmates which where an Oscar and Red Devil. How ever he was always cranky. Stayed in his hide until he was hungry then he'd exit basically use his tail to prop himself on top of his hide in a vertical position so his mouth was right at the water surface making loud smacking sounds until I fed him.

During the day he rarely if ever left his hide but the Red Devil would harass the Apu constantly tearing at my poor Apu's face. That is until one day the Apu snapped at the Red Devil(which was my wife's fish) and his huge mouth enveloped almost the entire Red Devil. I didn't see the attack just the end result. My wife was skimming the tank looking for her Red Devil and couldn't find it at first. Suddenly I heard my name called in a very annoyed scream. I ran to see what was wrong and my wife quickly pointed out how my %@#*^ fish had hers sticking out of it's mouth. I tried to save the Devil to no avail. Even removed from the water and with my pulling the Apu wouldn't let go.

The Apu would live relatively peacefully for the awhile with the Oscar and some other rotating tankmates. He was more annoyed by aquarium decor then anything else. Anything in his path that didn't give way was attacked as though it was alive. Most fish knew better so I didn't really have any problems till I tried keeping him with Rays. The Apu tried to eat a Ray got stung instead and stopped eating or leaving his hide. He recovered and like a real fool I figured he had learned his lesson. I was wrong and the next encounter he had with a Ray cost me both the Ray and the Apu.

My apologies I still miss my Apu and between that and me being naturally long winded I ran off at the mouth.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'm sorry I missed this thread. A Apurensis was my very first rare fish purchase and I'm pretty sure what led me to MFK. I had taken my very first trip to Shark Aquarium and was lucky enough to come across both Apurensis and Fowleri. I chose the Apurensis because of it's cheaper price and I didn't care for Fowleri's flattened face. The other differences yellowcat listed are there but it was the head and coloration that really stood out to me as a novice.

In person and side by side the differences between Fowleri and Apurensis IME are very noticeable. All of Shark Aquariums Cephalosilurus where contained in two side by side tanks and the two species where mixed in both tanks. They had no where to hide, the tanks where shallow and the lighting more then sufficient, so viewing them was easy. I became a Shark Aquarium regular and these guys did not sell well. Sitting there for month after month with no noticeable difference in number. My separation from my wife led to an extended gap between my visit to Shark Aquarium and I would forever regret not picking up Fowleri when I could. Shark Aquarium eventually sold all of them and every time since I never saw Flwoeri again. The tanks would be labeled as though there where Fowleri and Apurensis in them but it was always only Apurensis actually in them.

I always wanted to dedicate a species only tank to an Apurensis. Mine wasn't aggressive per say with his tankmates which where an Oscar and Red Devil. How ever he was always cranky. Stayed in his hide until he was hungry then he'd exit basically use his tail to prop himself on top of his hide in a vertical position so his mouth was right at the water surface making loud smacking sounds until I fed him.

During the day he rarely if ever left his hide but the Red Devil would harass the Apu constantly tearing at my poor Apu's face. That is until one day the Apu snapped at the Red Devil(which was my wife's fish) and his huge mouth enveloped almost the entire Red Devil. I didn't see the attack just the end result. My wife was skimming the tank looking for her Red Devil and couldn't find it at first. Suddenly I heard my name called in a very annoyed scream. I ran to see what was wrong and my wife quickly pointed out how my %@#*^ fish had hers sticking out of it's mouth. I tried to save the Devil to no avail. Even removed from the water and with my pulling the Apu wouldn't let go.

The Apu would live relatively peacefully for the awhile with the Oscar and some other rotating tankmates. He was more annoyed by aquarium decor then anything else. Anything in his path that didn't give way was attacked as though it was alive. Most fish knew better so I didn't really have any problems till I tried keeping him with Rays. The Apu tried to eat a Ray got stung instead and stopped eating or leaving his hide. He recovered and like a real fool I figured he had learned his lesson. I was wrong and the next encounter he had with a Ray cost me both the Ray and the Apu.

My apologies I still miss my Apu and between that and me being naturally long winded I ran off at the mouth.
Your extensive write ups of your experiences are always welcomed by me :) and I'd hope anyone else who's eager to learn and take in information. Well going off of raps picture if the color what would you say?

And you didn't like the flatter face? I think that might've drew me in more lol.

Reactions: koltsixx
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store