C. Fowleri vs C. Apurensis

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Your extensive write ups of your experiences are always welcomed by me :) and I'd hope anyone else who's eager to learn and take in information. Well going off of raps picture if the color what would you say?

And you didn't like the flatter face? I think that might've drew me in more lol.
Thanks Moe. Off the color I'd say Apu. Yeah, I've never been a big fan of too flat a face. It's why I never got into Pacman's. I do like a some what shovelnose like Bagridae and some of the Pimelodidae but not too much beyond that.

Jeff used to import from Surinam but he said he won't be doing it anymore. He stated they weren't profitable and exceedingly expensive to import. I only know because I had asked about Crenichcla Multispinosa and some other rare Crenichla like Percna, Rosemarie and Tigrina. I also believe he was talking to someone in Trinidad to get Guyana collections going again. And has some access to Argentina species via Paraguay. And sorry the reply took a bit, my computer rebooted for I don't know what reason. Between that and confirming some info. it took me a bit.

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
The fish photo posted on Jeff's website is definitely an apurensis, easily identified due to the full belly markings being the same as the sides and back, unlike c. fowleri that has a much clearer, less spotted belly. The overall 'chunkier' shape and less flattened head is also a solid clue. I've had my c. fowleri for over 12 years now, haven't seen one for sale since. I can highly recommend Jeff Rapps and his excellent fish selections...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'll throw my pebble after Kolt's rock and Kirk's boulder. It is an apurensis. IME the yellow-ness or orange-ness of their base color has not helped me pick out anything else but apurensis, of which I've owned 7 specimens so far. The darkest and the lightest, the grayest and the yellowest all turned out apu AFAIK.

As a side note, I can't get enough of Kirk's 2'-er: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=cephalosilurus_apurensis&image_id=20678 I can't imagine how imposing that cat was in a tank in person. They are impressive at 1' but this must have been a sight to see.

I'm sorry I missed this thread. A Apurensis was my very first rare fish purchase and I'm pretty sure what led me to MFK. I had taken my very first trip to Shark Aquarium and was lucky enough to come across both Apurensis and Fowleri. I chose the Apurensis because of it's cheaper price and I didn't care for Fowleri's flattened face. The other differences yellowcat listed are there but it was the head and coloration that really stood out to me as a novice.

In person and side by side the differences between Fowleri and Apurensis IME are very noticeable. All of Shark Aquariums Cephalosilurus where contained in two side by side tanks and the two species where mixed in both tanks. They had no where to hide, the tanks where shallow and the lighting more then sufficient, so viewing them was easy. I became a Shark Aquarium regular and these guys did not sell well. Sitting there for month after month with no noticeable difference in number. My separation from my wife led to an extended gap between my visit to Shark Aquarium and I would forever regret not picking up Fowleri when I could. Shark Aquarium eventually sold all of them and every time since I never saw Flwoeri again. The tanks would be labeled as though there where Fowleri and Apurensis in them but it was always only Apurensis actually in them.

I always wanted to dedicate a species only tank to an Apurensis. Mine wasn't aggressive per say with his tankmates which where an Oscar and Red Devil. How ever he was always cranky. Stayed in his hide until he was hungry then he'd exit basically use his tail to prop himself on top of his hide in a vertical position so his mouth was right at the water surface making loud smacking sounds until I fed him.

During the day he rarely if ever left his hide but the Red Devil would harass the Apu constantly tearing at my poor Apu's face. That is until one day the Apu snapped at the Red Devil(which was my wife's fish) and his huge mouth enveloped almost the entire Red Devil. I didn't see the attack just the end result. My wife was skimming the tank looking for her Red Devil and couldn't find it at first. Suddenly I heard my name called in a very annoyed scream. I ran to see what was wrong and my wife quickly pointed out how my %@#*^ fish had hers sticking out of it's mouth. I tried to save the Devil to no avail. Even removed from the water and with my pulling the Apu wouldn't let go.

The Apu would live relatively peacefully for the awhile with the Oscar and some other rotating tankmates. He was more annoyed by aquarium decor then anything else. Anything in his path that didn't give way was attacked as though it was alive. Most fish knew better so I didn't really have any problems till I tried keeping him with Rays. The Apu tried to eat a Ray got stung instead and stopped eating or leaving his hide. He recovered and like a real fool I figured he had learned his lesson. I was wrong and the next encounter he had with a Ray cost me both the Ray and the Apu.

My apologies I still miss my Apu and between that and me being naturally long winded I ran off at the mouth.
What are you talking about?! Running at the mouth is about senseless, or low useful content, or at least an unsolicited blabbing. Could be an emotional ranting. None applies here.

Posts like this warm the very cockles of my heart the most. One of the most interesting pieces to read. Silly me approves of what happened to the red devil. And what you said about their bulldozing tendency toward inanimate objects explained to me why I have to regularly reinstall and barricade an eggcrate divider in a 240 gal with my apu quartet.

Reactions: moe214 and koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I'll throw my pebble after Kolt's rock and Kirk's boulder. It is an apurensis. IME the yellow-ness or orange-ness of their base color has not helped me pick out anything else but apurensis, of which I've owned 7 specimens so far. The darkest and the lightest, the grayest and the yellowest all turned out apu AFAIK.

As a side note, I can't get enough of Kirk's 2'-er: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=cephalosilurus_apurensis&image_id=20678 I can't imagine how imposing that cat was in a tank in person. They are impressive at 1' but this must have been a sight to see.

What are you talking about?! Running at the mouth is about senseless, or low useful content, or at least an unsolicited blabbing. Could be an emotional ranting. None applies here.

Posts like this warm the very cockles of my heart the most. One of the most interesting pieces to read. Silly me approves of what happened to the red devil. And what you said about their bulldozing tendency toward inanimate objects explained to me why I have to regularly reinstall and barricade an eggcrate divider in a 240 gal with my apu quartet.
Thanks Viktor. I've always been a fan of your cat stories so it always nice to know you appreciate mine as well. The bulldozing is funny to watch. Apu move very slowly as they seem to have not a care or fear in the world. Upon bumping into the object the Apu pauses for a second then attempts to keep going without deviation. When it finds the object hasn't been smart enough to move from it's path they start furiously propelling themselves forward trying to go through the object. If the object still doesn't move they continue at full throttle but throw in bites for good measure. IME this is done until the object is overcome. Immediately afterwards the Apu goes back to his slow carefree pace.

They really are a big fish in regards to their girth and over all thickness. Often times being wider then fish twice their size. I've shared this video I believe before but I still think it should be posted so people can appreciate just how beastly wide these guys can be.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... The bulldozing is funny to watch. Apu move very slowly as they seem to have not a care or fear in the world. Upon bumping into the object the Apu pauses for a second then attempts to keep going without deviation. When it finds the object hasn't been smart enough to move from it's path they start furiously propelling themselves forward trying to go through the object. If the object still doesn't move they continue at full throttle but throw in bites for good measure. IME this is done until the object is overcome. Immediately afterwards the Apu goes back to his slow carefree pace.
Joshua, this is a masterpiece! I chuckled, giggled, and laughed all throughout. That's precisely what they do, let the object be animate or inanimate. Or another apu, haha... then push can come to shove...

This is very descriptive that they move as if not having a care or fear in the world. Their slow-mo resembles walking with pectoral and pelvic fins for limbs and some help from the paddle in the rear.

It would seem that if there was substrate, they would also dig in and press against the substrate with the four aforementioned fins to push against the obstacle.

Reactions: moe214 and koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Joshua, this is a masterpiece! I chuckled, giggled, and laughed all throughout. That's precisely what they do, let the object be animate or inanimate. Or another apu, haha... then push can come to shove...

This is very descriptive that they move as if not having a care or fear in the world. Their slow-mo resembles walking with pectoral and pelvic fins for limbs and some help from the paddle in the rear.

It would seem that if there was substrate, they would also dig in and press against the substrate with the four aforementioned fins to push against the obstacle.
Thanks again Viktor, I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it. IMHO they are one of the best of under appreciated catfish. They hide but IME they do so with their head exposed as such at least that mug is usually easily viewed. Also IME they're very easy to break onto pellets. Mine was used to eating live fish and broke within a day or two onto pellets.

Then there's their begging. Seeing their gut pressed against the glass as they beg at the surface is charming IMO. Plus the heavy breathing and rolling associated with a large meal signals the beginning of what you know is a food induced, bliss full coma. Much like one might do after Thanksgiving dinner as you unbuckle and unzip or switch to sweats so you can retire to your favorite seat before slipping off into a drool filled, sweaty food coma of your own. You can connect with these guys, at least I can. lol

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
Hey guys picked this up as a c. Fowler I I just wanted to see if anyone can confirm. It is about 7-8" and came in with 3 other pcs 12". I can take more pics if need be! When I bought it I was sure it was an APURE but they kept saying fowleri and I just thought they didn't know sure enough I come home and look that name up to find this thread.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Apurensis I'd say. Where did you get it from? Lfs?

Reactions: dmcskoolkid
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store