Ca cichlid Agression

Cichlomaniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Anybody have any luck keeping Jack's and salvini together with breeding pair of convicts? Just added cons as dithers a week ago and they paired up instantly, (less then a week) started nesting had no clue the sex until now female is bright red/orange and nesting

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Many variables that determine whether or not something will work, how large is your tank? How big are the fish? All of those species are aggressive, convicts generally work as "dithers" with much larger species, salvini and jack aren't all that much bigger unless the jack is a full grown male

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yeah that's gonna be tough in a 75 gallon, Cons are generally good "dithers" for much larger fish in large tanks, in a 75 they should basically be the main residents especially if breeding. My advice would be to bring the cons back, and get some swordtails if you want dithers.

Cichlomaniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
Yeah that's gonna be tough in a 75 gallon, Cons are generally good "dithers" for much larger fish in large tanks, in a 75 they should basically be the main residents especially if breeding. My advice would be to bring the cons back, and get some swordtails if you want dithers.
Jack, and sal won't bother swordtails but will offer distraction I take it?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yes that is the general idea, they might catch a swordtail slacking once in a while but usually won't bother them, as long as they aren't starving. Were you having aggression issues when it was just the Salvini and JD in the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store