nathanzhang

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
so in california where I live, all sharks of the carcharhinus genus are banned which includes reef sharks. However, the whitetip reef shark is not of the genus carcharhinus so does that mean they can be kept.
Note, as of right now I do not seek to keep sharks of any kind but I do have some friends who are interested.

nathanzhang

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
bump, in addition what is the status of bonnethead, sharpnose, and zebra sharks

nathanzhang

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
bump, but I have heard zoodiver say that whitetip reef sharks are illegal in california

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
It is not just the genus Carcharhinus - but all Carcharhinids(requiem sharks) - which would include the White-tip reef, and the Sharpnoses. But it does not include the Bonnethead (since they are a species of hammerhead) or any of the Smooth hounds (which include the California Leopard shark). The Zebra Shark is technically a species of Carpet shark - so they are NOT included either.

nathanzhang

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
thank you very much
but it says
Family Carcharhinidae -Requiem Sharks: All species of genus Carcharhinus (Freshwater sharks) (D). (B)

which I interpret as just the genus Carcharhinus

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Well - technically the only true freshwater sharks are of the genus - Glyphis - the river sharks of Southeast Asia, northern Australia, & New Guinea. They are not a species of the genus Carcharhinus, however they are still a part of the family of Carcharhinids. The only species of Carcharhinus which is regularly found in freshwater is the Bull shark ( C. leucas).
Something to remember that most enforcement agents & law makers - are not biologists or scientists. So such laws are often made with very basic scientific understanding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store