Can anyone help with my gar

Georgethegar

Feeder Fish
Nov 11, 2020
Hi.. I have had George my gar for 10 plus years - he would very randomly bank into tank and I mean very rarely however the last few weeks it has seemed to become a regular thing he speeds up and crashes even has a little white on his nose - I also know they tend to jump he never did attempt to jump out during feeding cleaning etc however today I heard a ruckus looked over and he somehow got out and on top of my lid - I’m worried . I have changed filter and things of that nature

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How big is the gar? How big is the tank it’s in? Any white over the eye? Ph? Last water change?

Reactions: dr exum

Georgethegar

Feeder Fish
Nov 11, 2020
Thanks for your quick reply ! I have had him over 10 years but unsure exactly age -
And the cage is approx
I am buying more PH strips tomorrow and just changed his water few months ago and filter don’t have a heater The white over the eye seems to come and go, not always there you seen it I’ve seen it but other day looked normal -takes a 50 gallon. But wider instead of taller. Like the “depth” going back. Instead of height tried attaching video but seems I can’t

37A731F5-422D-4105-902D-9025627862F8.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: dr exum

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
First off, that fish needs a way bigger tank, literally 10 times the size of a 50 gallon. You stunted that fish for too long. Something’s telling me you have old tank syndrome, where the water is toxic but the fish is used to it, so my guess is the gar injured it self some how, and since the aquariums water is not clean, it will not heal and instead become infected.
Get that fish a bigger tank or to someone that has a bigger clean tank, and the gar can get better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store