Can I add a convict or Firemouth?

Jerith1842

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Hello all, so I have a 55 gallon with 8 tiger barbs, 6 Odessa barbs, a rainbow shark, and a Siamese algae eater. I am wondering if it would be okay to add a convict or a Firemouth to the mix. Or would that be a total bad idea? Or are there any other cool cichlids that could work?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all, so I have a 55 gallon with 8 tiger barbs, 6 Odessa barbs, a rainbow shark, and a Siamese algae eater. I am wondering if it would be okay to add a convict or a Firemouth to the mix. Or would that be a total bad idea? Or are there any other cool cichlids that could work?
Either one of them may work but you may have issue with the Rainbow Shark. Only a single Firemouth or Convict no pairs.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I have a 5 inch firemouth in a 80 gallon he was in there with a rainbow shark where I had no issues but will constantly pick fights with a large pyjama catfish who allways gets the better be of him they can be bullys but tend to back down an interesting cichlid though.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since all your fish are Asian already (personally, I like my tanks to be at least continentally geographically correct) why not add one of the true Asian cichlids, either the orange Chromide (Etroplus maculates) of the Canara Chromide (Etroplus canarensis).
Neither with out grow the tank (like the two you posted will) and neither will have territorial aggression issues when mature, like the other two you posted, would probably have in such a limited amount of space.
Below Etroplus canarensis.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Another problem that might arise is with the Odessa Barbs. They do best in cooler, well aerated water, 70 - 75 degrees. Their health will eventually decline if kept in warm water long term. IMO, Central American Cichlids do best at 78 - 82 degrees.

Jerith1842

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Since all your fish are Asian already (personally, I like my tanks to be at least continentally geographically correct) why not add one of the true Asian cichlids, either the orange Chromide (Etroplus maculates) of the Canara Chromide (Etroplus canarensis).
Neither with out grow the tank (like the two you posted will) and neither will have territorial aggression issues when mature, like the other two you posted, would probably have in such a limited amount of space.
Below Etroplus canarensis.
Okay definitely interested. Are they pretty difficult to find? And would that be a better temp match then the sa cichlids?

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The Orange chromides were available in most LFSs even decades ago, and have been line bred into very red color lines, very orange colors, and the natural type.
The canarensis are a bit more rare, and may be harder to find.
I'm sure they can be ordered on line
Since I haven't lived in the U.S. for over 5 years, I'm pretty out of it when knowing what's available in LFSs.
Jim Cumming from Canada has breeding groups of both species (I believe), and gives talks around North America, you may want to get in touch with him thru Face Book, or he may know someone to talk to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store