Can i safely keep am ebjd, g terror, r terror, flowerhorn and jag in the same tank?

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Hi, i was thinking of doing a large cichlid aquarium but i have some concerns about aggression in the tank.

The fishes i had in mind were 1 green terror
1 red terror
1 electric blue jack dempsey
1 jaguar cichlid
1 flowerhorn

would it be possible to safely keep these in the same aquarium?
If so what should be the optimal tank size
How many gallons
ANy specific decor/plants/substrate to provide?

Ive heard having a a lot of smaller fish in the same tank curbs aggression.
Would this work and if so what kinds what be best ( i was thinking acaras, convicts, parrots etc)

any other suggested tankmates are appreciated
Right away I would say no. However, if you really wanted these fish I would take out the Blue Dempsey they are docile compared to regular Jack Dempseys and would probably get killed.
Green Terror may also not be able to hold it's own as well.

Jaguar, Flowerhorn, and Red Terror are very aggressive so if your heart is set on these fish you will need a large tank. I recommend the minimum 125 gallons but if you can afford it get a 240 gallon tank.

Why not choose one of these three and go with a school of Silver Dollars and Tinfoil Barbs. I recommend this because you never know with cichlids. They could possibly get along but highly unlikely, it is stressful to see one dominant cichlid chase your others and tatter their fins. Personally, I would go with one of the three and a school of Silver Dollars and Tinfoil Barbs.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Hi, i was thinking of doing a large cichlid aquarium but i have some concerns about aggression in the tank.

The fishes i had in mind were 1 green terror
1 red terror
1 electric blue jack dempsey
1 jaguar cichlid
1 flowerhorn

would it be possible to safely keep these in the same aquarium?
If so what should be the optimal tank size
How many gallons
ANy specific decor/plants/substrate to provide?

Ive heard having a a lot of smaller fish in the same tank curbs aggression.
Would this work and if so what kinds what be best ( i was thinking acaras, convicts, parrots etc)

any other suggested tankmates are appreciated
Right away I would say no. However, if you really wanted these fish I would take out the Blue Dempsey they are docile compared to regular Jack Dempseys and would probably get killed.
Green Terror may also not be able to hold it's own as well.

Jaguar, Flowerhorn, and Red Terror are very aggressive so if your heart is set on these fish you will need a large tank. I recommend the minimum 125 gallons but if you can afford it get a 240 gallon tank.

Why not choose one of these three and go with a school of Silver Dollars and Tinfoil Barbs. I recommend this because you never know with cichlids. They could possibly get along but highly unlikely, it is stressful to see one dominant cichlid chase your others and tatter their fins. Personally, I would go with one of the three and a school of Silver Dollars and Tinfoil Barbs.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Didn't read the other replies, lol. If you are going to keep the GT, why not go with predatory Haps. I have some with my Americans for two years now. They are large but not aggressive. I have Salvini and other Americans with Malawi Trout, Hawk, Eyebiter, and a few others

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store