Changed the tank substrate to sand, loving this new look.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Looking good. As I think I pointed out before on one of your posts, I love your Xiphophorus variatus. Very nice colors!
Question- What are the plants are either side of the tank, on the front (long leaves)? The one on the left looks like Cryptocoryne usteriana or related (wrinkly leaves), but the one in the right seems to have smooth but long leaves.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Looking good. As I think I pointed out before on one of your posts, I love your Xiphophorus variatus. Very nice colors!
Question- What are the plants are either side of the tank, on the front (long leaves)? The one on the left looks like Cryptocoryne usteriana or related (wrinkly leaves), but the one in the right seems to have smooth but long leaves.
now take what I will say with a grain of salt as I dont know plants much BUT
the one on the left is an Amazon Sword. There is a plant floating above it (Bichirs uprooted it) and there are the same plants on the right, those are (at least what I got them as) Hygrophila Corymbosa Siamensis or something from the same family.
Also I think some of my Platies are pregnant ! Now I dont know If I will be home when they give birth since I do go to school but hopefully I catch them before my Bichirs do. Then again If they are eaten I am not that sad since that is kind of the reason I got them for. Feeder fish are not my cup of tea but maybe the little Bichirs are bored of pellets and want some movement lol.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for responding. I completely agree with Hygrophila corymbose or similar for the right side.
Regarding the left side, and perhaps I am completely wrong, aren't there two different plants? smooth leaves, and wrinkly leaves (as seen in the cutouts of your picture). The whole thing may be a single plant that fooled me completely anyway. Nice looking!

Wrinkly-
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.36.21 PM.png

Smooth-
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.36.52 PM.png

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
Thanks for responding. I completely agree with Hygrophila corymbose or similar for the right side.
Regarding the left side, and perhaps I am completely wrong, aren't there two different plants? smooth leaves, and wrinkly leaves (as seen in the cutouts of your picture). The whole thing may be a single plant that fooled me completely anyway. Nice looking!

Wrinkly-
View attachment 1492408

Smooth-
View attachment 1492409
they are the same plant. Although I dont know why it seems like that...Huh. I think the more older and mature leaves on the top are more wrinkly and the newer leaves are more smooth. Might also be the leaves of the floating plant that used to be planted right next to it.

Egemen

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2022
The left plant could be crypt balansae
yeah maybe, like I said I bought it as Amazon Sword from the LFS but I am no plant expert and I really dont ask for species of plants I rather just pick something I like and ask If its ok for my tank .

Reactions: tlindsey

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I think you'll find tons of new behaviours in your bichirs. After keeping mine in a bare bottom tank while it was in quarantine, and moving it into a sand base tank,, i have noticed a bunch if interesting things.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store