Channa gachua. Tropical or sub-tropical??

baal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2016
Sweden
Hi everyone.

I bought a channa gachua about a week ago and the shopkeeper promised that it would be a tropical gachua but after some reading I'm not sure if he was right :(
I saw in a other tread in the forum " snakeheads keeping conditions by pallestopheles " that gachua from india (sub-tropical) normally have a red stripe underneath the eye and that their pectoral fins have a orange-black clouration, while the tropical gachua does not have a red stripe and their pectoral fins often are black coloured.
Both the red stripe and the orange-black pectoral fins match my gachua. So can anyone tell me if my gachua is tropical or sub-tropical?? I really want to give him/her the best environment possible.
Here is a pic of my gachua "Wiener". Sorry about the bad quality, will try and get a better pic later.
gachua.jpg
//baal

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Ideally, you would need to ask your LFS for the collecting point.
Looking at the fish, it screams "sub-trop" but I only just found out Gachuas were also collected in warmer areas where a cold period is not exactly required.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Ideally, you would need to ask your LFS for the collecting point.
Looking at the fish, it screams "sub-trop" but I only just found out Gachuas were also collected in warmer areas where a cold period is not exactly required.

baal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2016
Sweden
I asked him when I bought the fish and he told me it was from the east asia and that it was a tropical gachua, but he also told when I talk to him later about getting another one that channa pulchra was a good tank companion for my gachua, but to my knowledge all pulchra is sub-tropical, and I told him that but he said that they dont need any cold periods. So after that I strated to look for info about my gachua because I dont trust him.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Your LFS told you your channa didn't need colder periods.
The same LFS told you to put two species of Channa together.

Given the second information is a flat out lie, and will get your fishes killed, I wouldn't trust the first one.

Just keep your Gachua in a non-heated tank and he'll be fine. :)

baal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2016
Sweden
I'm doing a low tech and low light without any heater and the temperature is around 24-25 C (75.3-77 F) do you think he will make it between those temp or should I try to lower it to around 20-22 C (68-71.6 F)??

Gaz_ham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2008
northants, uk
I would keep him at 22/24°c until you can identify what species he is. If you could get a photo of him in the light with his dorsal find up, that would be ideal.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Keep it sub tropical most Gachua are sub tropical. He'll probably do fine at those temps for now but if you can go lower I would.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Also you are correct , the traits do look to be a varriant out of India and sub tropical. they can tolerate a WIDE range of temperatures quite well but ideally you should try to provide cooler temps for at least part of the year.

baal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2016
Sweden
I really tried to get a good pic but he does not want to cooperate :( , and I just have my crappy phone. Will try again today. Trying to lower the temp but since I dont have a chiller it's not easy, any suggestions?
Do you guys know what the spots are??
gachua2.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store