Chicxulub's Nature Preserve (carnivorous plants, orchids, etc)

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have a question chicx.
You mention plants that are fire tolerant, that do best after a fire, yet that brings up a few questions for me that I hope you can answer.

How can the plants rely on fire since it is not a commonly occurring event such as rainfall?
Wouldn't the seeds be burned up? Follow up question, do the seeds have a protective layer that the fire can't burn through?

Reactions: Chicxulub

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have a question chicx.
You mention plants that are fire tolerant, that do best after a fire, yet that brings up a few questions for me that I hope you can answer.

How can the plants rely on fire since it is not a commonly occurring event such as rainfall?
Wouldn't the seeds be burned up? Follow up question, do the seeds have a protective layer that the fire can't burn through?
Fires usually occur every few years in certain ecosystems, we have giant fynbos fires every few years this time. In terms of the fynbos many species have germination triggered by heat or smoke and have a fairly dense pod to protect the contents :D

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Chicxulub Chicxulub , great pics of the Pileated woodpeckers and I agree it's very difficult to get pics of these species.

I've been seeing 2 in my backyard the last week though never at the same time. The one I know is male and his plumage is absolutely perfect, not a feather out of place and his colors really pop! He always seems to know when I'm looking out the window and hides on the back side of the tree. ?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Really great pics!

I have to admit whenever I hear carnivores plant, I cant help to picture
View attachment 1414492
Lol!

Some of my plants get pretty big, but not THAT big! My largest carnivore is the yellow pitcher plant (Sarracenia flava), which can reach about 3 feet tall and 4 inches wide.

FB_IMG_1587655575676.jpg

This one is a prime example. It's standing about a foot above the surrounding grasses, which are themselves about two feet tall.

Stunning! I haven’t seen a pIleated woodpecker since I was a kid! You got amazing shots!
Thank you so much! These elusive turds have given me hell for years lol

I have a question chicx.

Fire adapted ecosystems consist of plants that burn very well. These plants tend to have stems that are either underground or which have very tall stems with some sort of thick, fireproof covering.

Species such as pitcher plants, orchids, many grasses and the like are examples of the type of plant with an underground stem. These species aggressively produce leaves in spring and summer, then starting in fall those leaves will begin to die off and dry out. By late winter and early spring, they're fully dried out and can form a layer of a dry, highly flammable layer of plant material.

The plants with the tall fireproof stem approach include things such as pine trees and cypress trees, as well as many palms and palmettos. These plants try to raise their growth point above the hottest part of the fire. When they drop their leaves, the leaves that they drop tend to dry out easily, not hold water and burn extremely easily; such as with pine or cypress needles. These fallen needles contribute fuel to the highly flammable duff layer being produced by the subsurface plants mentioned above.

Now, with all this fuel building up, fire becomes an unavoidable inevitability because nothing makes the fuel go away. This is why wildfire suppression programs such as that which is used in the American west ALWAYS fail and ALWAYS result in devastating conflagrations. Controlled burns are the answer, not ignoring the problem.

But I digress.

When the fire does start, which happens on a one to five year cycle when nature is left to do it's thing. Large portions of the US are supposed to be on this burn cycle.

Now, the means by which this positively affects the plants in this ecosystem is quite simple. These plants work together to produce this fuel, then when a fire rips through and removes all the fuel and kills off all species not adapted to the fire, there will be a lot of bare open soil and and very little competition. The fire adapted species respond to the fire clearing everything away by violently flowering and producing seed in an attempt to gobble up as much of that cleared space as possible.

This process is called serotiny, and the ecosystems in which it takes place are called serotinous ecosystems.

Fires usually occur every few years in certain ecosystems, we have giant fynbos fires every few years this time. In terms of the fynbos many species have germination triggered by heat or smoke and have a fairly dense pod to protect the contents :D
Exactly!

Chicxulub Chicxulub , great pics of the Pileated woodpeckers and I agree it's very difficult to get pics of these species.

I've been seeing 2 in my backyard the last week though never at the same time. The one I know is male and his plumage is absolutely perfect, not a feather out of place and his colors really pop! He always seems to know when I'm looking out the window and hides on the back side of the tree. ?
Thank you! It is creepy how well these things seem to know when you're watching. These really are some amazing animals, and I'm thankful that I have some living in my land :)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I minor update from my Swamp!

giphy.gif

While many folks think that carnivorous plants only live in warm or tropical areas, and while most of Florida is just that, our carnivorous plants are actually quite cold adapted. Indeed, their seeds germinate best once they've been exposed to a number of hard freezes over the course of the winter, a process known as stratification. As I live in the very northernmost part of Florida that is climatically more like Georgia, I typically get hard freezes and at least one day of flurries every year.

Here are some icy pitcher plants in low 20's F/ circa -5*C temperatures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Also, please enjoy this juvenile red shouldered hawk perched in a slash pine-

birb.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I minor update from my Swamp!

giphy.gif

While many folks think that carnivorous plants only live in warm or tropical areas, and while most of Florida is just that, our carnivorous plants are actually quite cold adapted. Indeed, their seeds germinate best once they've been exposed to a number of hard freezes over the course of the winter, a process known as stratification. As I live in the very northernmost part of Florida that is climatically more like Georgia, I typically get hard freezes and at least one day of flurries every year.
I must say you're looking a funny colour there, have you not been well? I always envisaged you being athletic too, not quite as rotund as you are in your video clip!!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
20210116b landscape med.jpg

The Swamp looks especially lovely in the winter! The lighting is just the best.

Over the past week I had the opportunity to rescue some hooded pitcher plants (Sarracenia minor) from the front yard of someone in my county. In addition to the pitcher plants, I also was able to find and rescue some rattlesnake master plants (Eryngium yuccifolium) and bearded grasspink orchids (Calopogon barbatus). All three species are endangered and worthy of rescue, even if the pitcher plants are the only ones that are really charismatic and recognizable to someone who isn't a complete plant nerd like me.

Removing the pitcher plants....

20210205a.jpg

It's really odd to see them basically growing in someone's well groomed front yard, even if that front yard is mostly native swamp weeds.

The dirt clods of the root balls are heavy, so I used my tractor to transport them...

20210205b.jpg

This is the rattlesnake master plant. It's the little cactus looking one-

20210205c.jpg

The dirt from the donor's yard. Note how there is a very high level of the black organic material from decomposing grass clippings. This is actually detrimental to the soil for the native species, as they're adapted to very nutrient poor soils.

20210205d.jpg

Compare that to this pic of the soil in my Preserve. There are effectively zero organics in the dirt, which is as it should be when a mesic flatwood is on a proper and natural fire cycle.

20210205e.jpg

Yes, I'm showing you all pictures of my holes. I'm the admin and I can do that. Deal with it! :p

Finally, here's an ugly swamp ape that was sighted in the flatwood putting plants in holes. Idk if I've ever shown myself here before or not, but this seems as good a time as any. ?‍♂

20210205f.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
View attachment 1450384

The Swamp looks especially lovely in the winter! The lighting is just the best.

Over the past week I had the opportunity to rescue some hooded pitcher plants (Sarracenia minor) from the front yard of someone in my county. In addition to the pitcher plants, I also was able to find and rescue some rattlesnake master plants (Eryngium yuccifolium) and bearded grasspink orchids (Calopogon barbatus). All three species are endangered and worthy of rescue, even if the pitcher plants are the only ones that are really charismatic and recognizable to someone who isn't a complete plant nerd like me.

Removing the pitcher plants....

View attachment 1450388

It's really odd to see them basically growing in someone's well groomed front yard, even if that front yard is mostly native swamp weeds.

The dirt clods of the root balls are heavy, so I used my tractor to transport them...

View attachment 1450389

This is the rattlesnake master plant. It's the little cactus looking one-

View attachment 1450390

The dirt from the donor's yard. Note how there is a very high level of the black organic material from decomposing grass clippings. This is actually detrimental to the soil for the native species, as they're adapted to very nutrient poor soils.

View attachment 1450391

Compare that to this pic of the soil in my Preserve. There are effectively zero organics in the dirt, which is as it should be when a mesic flatwood is on a proper and natural fire cycle.

View attachment 1450392

Yes, I'm showing you all pictures of my holes. I'm the admin and I can do that. Deal with it! :p

Finally, here's an ugly swamp ape that was sighted in the flatwood putting plants in holes. Idk if I've ever shown myself here before or not, but this seems as good a time as any. ?‍♂

View attachment 1450393
I think I prefer the grumpy green look you had in that video you posted! Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store