Choosing mini monsters

VeryAngryGar

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
I saw these videos too. These things tearing down scorpions and centipedes. But most puffers i saw were brackish, big or required perfect water, with the exception for pea puffer, and they seem fun. But what can such a tiny thing tear apart compared to its bigger cousins?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Recently I set up a tank for shellies. Ive always liked African cichlids but have never had any tangs until now. All cichlids are pretty aggressive but these seem to be exceptionally so, maybe some of these would work? They wont tear other fish or animals limb from fin but they sure are cool. The shellies are aggressive, the altolamprologus compressiceps are aggressive, the buescheri are really aggressive and I believe are considered predatory. I dont have any good pics but the last ones have "fangs" lol their teeth are huge.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I wasn’t always a puffer fan. I started watching puffer feeding videos and wow talk about brutal, voracious feeders! Still amazing to watch mine tear a shore crab in half and chow down. Plus they are very personable and interact as much as any cichlid. A great ‘wet pet’ in my opinion.
The only bad thing with puffers is they are very prone to diseases and not very easy to treat. They are sensitive to medication so often times the medicine isn't enough to kill the disease without killing the puffer. Pretty much all puffers are wild caught so they almost always have some form of parasites or diseases. Aside from puffers getting sick easily and not being easy to treat, they make great pets. I like how inquisitive they are and how they always look happy (porcupine puffers mainly, but they are neither a mini-monster nor freshwater)

VeryAngryGar

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
Recently I set up a tank for shellies. Ive always liked African cichlids but have never had any tangs until now. All cichlids are pretty aggressive but these seem to be exceptionally so, maybe some of these would work? They wont tear other fish or animals limb from fin but they sure are cool. The shellies are aggressive, the altolamprologus compressiceps are aggressive, the buescheri are really aggressive and I believe are considered predatory. I dont have any good pics but the last ones have "fangs" lol their teeth are huge.
Yeah, i tried with tanganyika once, but i don't really like this biotope. Its so bright that you can see every sort of dirt or glones. Im more fan of blackwater, and amazon biotope. Thats why im looking for cichlids that live in southern america.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yeah, i tried with tanganyika once, but i don't really like this biotope. Its so bright that you can see every sort of dirt or glones. Im more fan of blackwater, and amazon biotope. Thats why im looking for cichlids that live in southern america.
Oh I didnt see the south american thing anywhere sorry. In fact I saw you post maybe red jewels......those are African so I went from there. Your original Exodons might be best.

VeryAngryGar

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
Oh I didnt see the south american thing anywhere sorry. In fact I saw you post maybe red jewels......those are African so I went from there. Your original Exodons might be best.
Yeah, i did forget to add that tanganyika is a biotope i avoid. But other african biotopes are my thing as well, since both them and amazon are pretty similar. I just dont want it to be so bright that all waste is so easily seen.
I have also found Convict cichlids, and they look cool. If someone here has them, what do you do with the brood? I heard that they have a lot of fry.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
You either cull the fry yourself, or you put the babies as live food for another fish.
All of my convict babies go to my SA bumblebee catfish group.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yeah, i did forget to add that tanganyika is a biotope i avoid. But other african biotopes are my thing as well, since both them and amazon are pretty similar. I just dont want it to be so bright that all waste is so easily seen.
I have also found Convict cichlids, and they look cool. If someone here has them, what do you do with the brood? I heard that they have a lot of fry.
Just make sure to get something that will eat the fry. What about ctenopoma? There are different kinds and sizes but leopards are my favorite. Or some of the south american leaf fish? Super cool critters. Could go as messy as you want with them.

VeryAngryGar

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
Just make sure to get something that will eat the fry. What about ctenopoma? There are different kinds and sizes but leopards are my favorite. Or some of the south american leaf fish? Super cool critters. Could go as messy as you want with them.
Wouldnt it become overfed? I heard convicts have many children. Besides, wouldnt the parents slowly beat the leopard to death?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ive never had a South am leaf fish but my lfs had one for a couple months he was really a cool fish especially when stalking prey. People couldnt see him then bam sucked in a shrimp or fish. They were always wowed by it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store