Choosing mini monsters

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
In a 40 breeder, if you dont get the convicts maybe a smaller cat, but not gonna get to see much out of it. Cats are mostly nocturnal

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
It's really not too hard. Small monsters in a small space is the difficult part. And a problem that's gone over frequently on this site. There's just not a lot of options for a 3ft tank.

VeryAngryGar

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
Well, ill stick to cichlids i guess. The best active predator i can find. Or maybe some bumblebee catfish along with normal, non-monster fish.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The issue here is, most heavily predatory fish are large enough to prey on the many many smaller fish that are available for them to prey on. That leaves you with few options. South American leaf fish are predatory for example, but in most cases only eat live food, making them difficult to provide for.

-Active
-Agressive/Voracious eater
-Durable
Having a list of conditions like this makes it difficult to pinpoint a single good species. Exodon tetras fit the bill best if you can find them where you live. But if you think about it many larger tetras are extremely vicious eaters and fairly easy to keep. How about some of the deeper bodied tetras with Apistogramma cichlids?

Reactions: twentyleagues

VeryAngryGar

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2020
Although i have found pea puffers in my LFS, and they seem easy enough
I do have many snails in other aquariums as well. Maybe pufferfish are not that bad of an option. I may just make smaller aquarium for pea puffers.

Tom the bomb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
u should definetly try cichlids or EXODONS

I really want a 200-300 gallon tank for an arowana and green terrors, red devils etc. The marineland 265G caught my eye with a Fluval FX6. The first monster fish tank for me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store