"Common" CB Senegals vs Nigerian wild caught. Diff Sp?

Could there be a different subspecies at play here?

• I think so

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No ways

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Or just common variation in the same species. There can be difference in looks, color, fin shape, without it being a different species or even a subspecies. That's all we are saying. I don't know I maybe wrong but without testing we can only speculate and go off of other scientific proof and like tests. If it looks like a sen it's probably a sen.
Oh absolutely agree with you. But also possible is what hes seeing is differences in adult fish vs juvies.

Its like saying hey my ornate looks like and ornate BUT without genetic testing we dont know for a fact its an ornate. I just dont see the logic in any of this

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What about them ? What are you comparing them to ? They are likely adult specimens while yours is not.
These are ones Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 posted photos of, and yes while mine aren't adults my wc sen is 7" currently and going... the biggest imports are 12-14" so I have a while to go...

What is most likely one "species" of bichir of different variances.... Different colours and patterns... In fact looking at the tail same fish?

Or just common variation in the same species. There can be difference in looks, color, fin shape, without it being a different species or even a subspecies. That's all we are saying. I don't know I maybe wrong but without testing we can only speculate and go off of other scientific proof and like tests. If it looks like a sen it's probably a sen.
This is what I'm going with now, just a slightly differently shaped sen...

Probably the same fish again

Reactions: clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Oh absolutely agree with you. But also possible is what hes seeing is differences in adult fish vs juvies.

Its like saying hey my ornate looks like and ornate BUT without genetic testing we dont know for a fact its an ornate. I just dont see the logic in any of this
Oh yeah I was agreeing with you.

Reactions: jaws7777

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

I think some stuff could say the same but I don't know. I just came here to speculate and wear a tin foil hat...

I'm not on the genetics thing, I get the point.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Oh yeah I was agreeing with you.
Lmaoo me too was just furthering your point.

Hendre photos from the 1st post are all of the same exact fish. If we use some of your logic to this i could argue that there are 3 fish.

From the second group pf photos the 1st, 2nd and last pic are of a faranah endli.
Pics 3,4,and 5 are a dabola/tinkisso endli.
Just two endlis from different cat h locations both are endlis tho

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Water quality, stress, feeding, lighting, tankmayes can also all play a role large or small it still has effect on the fishes appearance. As jaws sais in the cichlid section. Im i to cichla mainky kelberi grow out a baych amd you can get 3 very dofferent looking fish from from the same parents and catch location im the wild. Some of the tank raised ones are so inbred that the headsbaoes chamges and morph and become a very poor representation on the fish. Those wild sens look amazing the cb i have never owned.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Okay I get it!

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
It's completely true that you can catch fish of the same species from different locations, but with only slight genetic differences. That's part of what I've been getting at. The genetic differences may also become so great that they might no longer be considered the same species.

The point about finding the same species of fish in different lakes is valid and all, but you're missing a couple of points. First off, Michigan doesn't compare well to half the geographical landmass of Africa. That is a lot of very seperate rivers, lakes, and swamps. Secondly, the reason why you may find one species spread over many separate systems in temperate zones, is because they where dropped off by moving glaciers during the last ice age. Polypterids on the other hand have had a stable presence in Africa for almost all of pre-history.

Take also the fact that the Polypterid genome is actually known to be variable and malleable, and it seems more likely that there are great variations in P. Senegalus colonies over their wide distribution. The number of vertaebra and dorsal finlets in Bichirs have been proven to be extremely variable for example, growing shorter or longer in relatively few generations. This is one characteristic that I think is likely to vary among populations.

I'd also like to add that as Polypterids are distributed over many turbulent and potentially dangerous zones, many species are sorely understudied in their natural environment. There's also a real possibility that there are undiscovered species altogether. Honestly I find it strange that so many would bluntly deny the notion that there are undiscovered species or subspecies. I can really find no reason to speculate that there isn't.

Lastly I think it's kind of ****ed up that so many here would want to discourage someone who has a passion for these fish beyond keeping them in a tank, and only wants to learn more about them.

Reactions: clm08k and Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store