Community/schooling/peaceful tank (unheated)

dp2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
Very useful thread. I am starting a new 75 gallon planted tank (48 x 18 x 21), heated to 72 degrees, and with a Eheim Ecco Pro filter. Cycling it now. Thanks for all the inputs in here. I am thinking of going with 20 cardinal tetras, 20 Neon tetras, may be 10-15 Danios, 4-6 Roseline shark and a few Angel Fish. Hope they all get along well. Appreciate any recommendations/suggestions.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Very useful thread. I am starting a new 75 gallon planted tank (48 x 18 x 21), heated to 72 degrees, and with a Eheim Ecco Pro filter. Cycling it now. Thanks for all the inputs in here. I am thinking of going with 20 cardinal tetras, 20 Neon tetras, may be 10-15 Danios and a few Angel Fish. Hope they all get along well. Appreciate any recommendations/suggestions.
If you're heating it anyway and want those species, I'd up the temps for the fish you want. I don't believe that the cardinals nor the angels will be really happy/thrive in anything less than 76 and that's bare minimum. I think neons can go cooler? The danios can as discussed.

Also, Neons and Cardinals are so similar that in my opinion, you're better off grabbing an entirely different schooler or just upping the numbers of one. I think Rummynose tetras look great with Cardinals.

With angels you also have to be aware that they might eat your tetras, esp. Neons since they're so small.

Sorry to be a naysayer...

Reactions: J. H.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Very useful thread. I am starting a new 75 gallon planted tank (48 x 18 x 21), heated to 72 degrees, and with a Eheim Ecco Pro filter. Cycling it now. Thanks for all the inputs in here. I am thinking of going with 20 cardinal tetras, 20 Neon tetras, may be 10-15 Danios, 4-6 Roseline shark and a few Angel Fish. Hope they all get along well. Appreciate any recommendations/suggestions.

Feel free to brain Strom with us. Tbh I always focused on larger beasts so this is kind of refreshing.

pescado209 pescado209 where are you with your set up. Make any decisions ?

If you're heating it anyway and want those species, I'd up the temps for the fish you want. I don't believe that the cardinals nor the angels will be really happy/thrive in anything less than 76 and that's bare minimum. I think neons can go cooler? The danios can as discussed.

Also, Neons and Cardinals are so similar that in my opinion, you're better off grabbing an entirely different schooler or just upping the numbers of one. I think Rummynose tetras look great with Cardinals.

With angels you also have to be aware that they might eat your tetras, esp. Neons since they're so small.

Sorry to be a naysayer...
Agree with this. Temps to cool for most of them and I had angels and Cardinals. Started with 15ish and ended up with 0

Reactions: magpie

dp2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
Thank you so much, for your very valuable and quick insights, magpie and jaws7777. I started my first tank (10 gallon) for my daughter a year back. Started reading up more when I lost a few of my first fishes. Now I am hooked, more than my daughter!!. I am graduating to the bigger and planted tank now and hence a newbie. Really appreciate your guidance. I have the temp set at 82 now for cycling. Will set it up at 76 when I am ready to add fishes. I really love the angel fish - never had them. Want some bigger and colorful ones along with the Tetras and Danios. Any other recommendations ?

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
[QUOTE="jaws7777, post: 7918363,
pescado209 pescado209 where are you with your set up. Make any decisions ?

0[/QUOTE]

so far I only have an empty tank. kinda leaning towards green barbs and minnows to start. ... but I have to finish my 40g dirted tank and my 210g before I start. so I'm a couple months away. I'll definitely be following your build and probably copy you :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Cant believe I'm going to say this PetSmart saved the day lol
Stopped in and they had some of the fish on my list.

Hopeing to get my daughter to help with this project so we'll see what she picks but last night we spent some time on youtube and we both agree on the panda corys and maybe cherry Barb's

Gonna bring her in and let her take a look they had zebra danio, cherry Barb's, long fin leapord danio (not sure about temp), Buenos Aires tetra (I like) black skirt tetra (not sure about temp), bushy nose pleco, pepper Cory, green Cory, and sterbai which I don't think cant handle cooler temps, corydoras julii (not sure about temps)

Need to pick up another sponge filter. I have one cycling in my sump. I figure two should be fine for this tank. If not there's an arsenal of filtration collecting dust lol.

I don't want to have to order anything so everything will have to come from PS.

magpie magpie your on interior decorator duties lol.

20180420_115250.jpg

Have a few more large rocks to add and need to pick out the sand and plants.

She wants pink sand lol not happening but I think I could mix some white or pfs with Garnet sand and give it a pinkish look that wouldn't look too bad.

Plants are going to come from PS except for either Water lettuce or pennywort. PS doesn't have floaters

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Cant believe I'm going to say this PetSmart saved the day lol
Stopped in and they had some of the fish on my list.

Hopeing to get my daughter to help with this project so we'll see what she picks but last night we spent some time on youtube and we both agree on the panda corys and maybe cherry Barb's

Gonna bring her in and let her take a look they had zebra danio, cherry Barb's, long fin leapord danio (not sure about temp), Buenos Aires tetra (I like) black skirt tetra (not sure about temp), bushy nose pleco, pepper Cory, green Cory, and sterbai which I don't think cant handle cooler temps, corydoras julii (not sure about temps)

Need to pick up another sponge filter. I have one cycling in my sump. I figure two should be fine for this tank. If not there's an arsenal of filtration collecting dust lol.

I don't want to have to order anything so everything will have to come from PS.

magpie magpie your on interior decorator duties lol.

View attachment 1311054

Have a few more large rocks to add and need to pick out the sand and plants.

She wants pink sand lol not happening but I think I could mix some white or pfs with Garnet sand and give it a pinkish look that wouldn't look too bad.

Plants are going to come from PS except for either Water lettuce or pennywort. PS doesn't have floaters
Most of those fish should work,and if you get cherry barbs get several varieties,mine got much better colors as they got older (they really got color by about 3 years old).

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Thank you so much, for your very valuable and quick insights, magpie and jaws7777. I started my first tank (10 gallon) for my daughter a year back. Started reading up more when I lost a few of my first fishes. Now I am hooked, more than my daughter!!. I am graduating to the bigger and planted tank now and hence a newbie. Really appreciate your guidance. I have the temp set at 82 now for cycling. Will set it up at 76 when I am ready to add fishes. I really love the angel fish - never had them. Want some bigger and colorful ones along with the Tetras and Danios. Any other recommendations ?
Well if you're going 76, just bump to 78 and they'll be that much happier. :D

I like the look of koi angels. With angels, also know that they're cichlids, so they'll often fight once they get older. You'll just have to see what the dynamic ends up being. I've kept a single angel in the past, which is another option.

You might consider something for the bottom and the top.... Cories are great for bottom activity. A Senegal or Delhezi bichir would also be my choice because I like polys, but if you got polys you probably should avoid the cories. Top fish, you could go with hatchets or butterfly fish. Both of those like planted tanks and floating plants in particular.

To be safe you could go with larger bodied tetras like white-tipped, lemon, colombian, or congos. They would be less likely to become angel snacks.

Those are my ideas, but there are a ton of options. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store