Community/schooling/peaceful tank (unheated)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Just curious, is there a reason you don’t want to go ahead and heat the tank? It seems to me that adding a heater(s) to the tank and having a few extra bucks a month on the electric bill will really open up your opportunities. I may have missed your reasoning, or you might just want it unheated “just because,” which is completely fine. I’m just throwing it out there.
Yup dont want to heat it just because.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So the tank is currently sitting at 63° yo guys think that's a little too cold for some of the fish we've talked about especially since it's April and during the winter months the temps will drop much more unless I can move it to another part of my basement.

Maybe just go with some combo of the following

Weather loach, cherry shrimp, paradise fish, WCMM, zebra danio ?

Think corydoras will be ok in temps this low ?
Cherry shrimp will get eaten in that setup, and I think corydoras will be ok, if you don't want to risk it then switch to some madtoms.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So the tank is currently sitting at 63° yo guys think that's a little too cold for some of the fish we've talked about especially since it's April and during the winter months the temps will drop much more unless I can move it to another part of my basement.

Maybe just go with some combo of the following

Weather loach, cherry shrimp, paradise fish, WCMM, zebra danio ?

Think corydoras will be ok in temps this low ?
Cherry shrimp will get eaten in that setup, and I think corydoras will be ok, if you don't want to risk it then switch to some madtoms.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Wait, you're not gonna tell us what the "maybe" Rapps fish is? Tease.

Oh no no no that wouldn't work with these fish and is closer to my true calling lol

You think zebra danios would mess with cherry shrimps ? I'm assuming corys will

I'm really resisting the native thing but may not be able to

Reactions: magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Daughter might like the idea of shrimps...mhhh shrimp tank ? Multiple species ? Betty Betty interesting

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Shrimps won't really breed in low temps, just slowly get eaten maybe. That's the general experience around here

dp2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
Thanks Hidan for your recommendation. Sorry for the confusion, Jaws777

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
Shrimps won't really breed in low temps, just slowly get eaten maybe. That's the general experience around here
define low temps please. are we talking low 70s . or even lower ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store