Community/schooling/peaceful tank (unheated)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Going supper slow lol I did have a weight restriction lol they bumped me up to lifting 20lbs.

Sand and rocks in. Gonna pick up something this week to create some bioload and move the cycled sponege over.

Sand is a mix of Garnet, red Flint, and play sand.

Still need to order another sponge, plants and pick out the fish. One caveat to the fish. Rapps might have something that I would reeeeeaaly like, if he does then we're gonna delay this for a few weeks and get some size on the potential new fish. Either way the scaping can move forward just the temps need to be warmer

Erica we're gonna brainstorm with the plants. So I don't like have 10 different spcies of plants just for the sake of having them. I feel like it doesn't really look natural. I'd rather pick out 2 to 4 species and let them take over.

So far as a floater I'm going to have to order online. Water lettuce or pennywort. I wanna attach a bunch of annubias to suction cups and stick to the sides or back of the tank.

The rest is up in the air.

Bocapa caroliniana (likey likey)
Staurogyne repens (likey likey but never had it and don't know if it's on the easy side.
Java fern (boring )

Maybe some moss glued to something idk
20180422_173227.jpg 20180422_173225.jpg
Can't wait to see how this turns out, Frank! I'll happily help with your interior decorating. ;)

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
I am graduating to the bigger and planted tank now and hence a newbie. Really appreciate your guidance. I have the temp set at 82 now for cycling. Will set it up at 76 when I am ready to add fishes. I really love the angel fish - never had them. Want some bigger and colorful ones along with the Tetras and Danios. Any other recommendations ?
I'd say Roseline Barbs and Rainbow fish are fantastic options with Angels. They will add a dash of color and not get eaten/killed by the Angels as Tetras often would.
Also Angels are bold fish who won't be bothered by the quick movement or aggressive feeding habits of these fish.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My plant ideas for you:
Vallis, my goodness this plant is wonderful. Grows easy, grows tall and spreads quickly. Gives a nice aesthetic too

Anubias: smaller types are quite compact and fun. I keep a few

Dwarf swords: If you're up to it then these can make a nice carpet. Never had them but seen plenty of awesome low tech tanks with that.

Bacopas are easy stems. Shouldn't have issues there. Mine grow just about anywhere.

Flame or taiwan moss will give you either an upright or flowing look depending on the type. Will do great on coarse rocks IMO.

Favourite floater is water sprite. Fish love the roots. :)

Make sure to feed your plants and you should be good! Root tabs and liquid ferts can help there. Good luck man :)

Reactions: magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I'd say Roseline Barbs and Rainbow fish are fantastic options with Angels. They will add a dash of color and not get eaten/killed by the Angels as Tetras often would.
Also Angels are bold fish who won't be bothered by the quick movement or aggressive feeding habits of these fish.
Angels won't survive in 60° water but thx for the suggestion man. Don't know about he roselines I think 60° is posing it no ?

My plant ideas for you:
Vallis, my goodness this plant is wonderful. Grows easy, grows tall and spreads quickly. Gives a nice aesthetic too

Anubias: smaller types are quite compact and fun. I keep a few

Dwarf swords: If you're up to it then these can make a nice carpet. Never had them but seen plenty of awesome low tech tanks with that.

Bacopas are easy stems. Shouldn't have issues there. Mine grow just about anywhere.

Flame or taiwan moss will give you either an upright or flowing look depending on the type. Will do great on coarse rocks IMO.

Favourite floater is water sprite. Fish love the roots. :)

Make sure to feed your plants and you should be good! Root tabs and liquid ferts can help there. Good luck man :)
Thx for the suggestions bud. Yeah root tabs are a must I've used them in every planted tank I've had.

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Angels won't survive in 60° water but thx for the suggestion man. Don't know about he roselines I think 60° is posing it no ?
That wasn't a suggestion to you. Roseline and Rainbows are a suggestion for his angel tank, for which he plans to install a heater.

My suggestion to you was Dwarf Gourami's, though I am not 100% sure how well they do in 60° water.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
So the tank is currently sitting at 63° yo guys think that's a little too cold for some of the fish we've talked about especially since it's April and during the winter months the temps will drop much more unless I can move it to another part of my basement.

Maybe just go with some combo of the following

Weather loach, cherry shrimp, paradise fish, WCMM, zebra danio ?

Think corydoras will be ok in temps this low ?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Just curious, is there a reason you don’t want to go ahead and heat the tank? It seems to me that adding a heater(s) to the tank and having a few extra bucks a month on the electric bill will really open up your opportunities. I may have missed your reasoning, or you might just want it unheated “just because,” which is completely fine. I’m just throwing it out there.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
They should be able to given they originate from Indian streams where they have to survive in such temperatures.
I kept mine at 80, because I thought they were jungle fish LOL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store