Dark Side Progression...

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
After some reading and research I decided to run a skimmerless system so I took my skimmer off and let my system run without it for a while, I currently doing 10% WC 3~4 times a week and that's quite excessive like some folks told me LOL so I'll keep checking my water parameters then I'll cut it down to 1~2 times a week.

Reactions: J. H. and tlindsey

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Today water test after removed skimmer:
Ammo 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Salinity 1.026 (recommended number by experience reefers, I have no problem to keep it stable at that number)
PH 8.2~8.4 (can not tell the exact number in between with API test)

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Today water test after removed skimmer:
Ammo 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Salinity 1.026 (recommended number by experience reefers, I have no problem to keep it stable at that number)
PH 8.2~8.4 (can not tell the exact number in between with API test)

I guess you can remove nutrients if using a skimmer. Why did they say don't use a skimmer ?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I guess you can remove nutrients if using a skimmer. Why did they say don't use a skimmer ?
It's all depend on each system.
It does remove both trace elements and organic waste in the process.
If you set up a SPS reef tank then some folks will use skimmer to have ultra low nutrition tank.
I'm not going to setup a SPS tank for now and I'll stick with some soft corals, If my system "too clean" they will die out for the most part :)
I'm trying to get Pulsing Xenia taking over my rock works, they are sucking up Nitrate so if my system too clean there is no food for them to grow :p
I'll keep my Stichodaclyta Gigantea at the sand/rock interface and hopefully it will become my center piece carpet for this tank, I might add the torch coral or find another Gigantea Carpet then I'm done with my tank and let it grow :)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I'm trying out these Xenia and after they are form a good colony in my tank I'll progress next step that I'll taking out filters and trying to create an natural ecosystem by using Xenia and live rocks, live sand and just use simple HoB filter for mechanical filtration.

Reactions: J. H.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
So I finally done layout my tank with live stock I wanted (might add 1 last clam if I can find a small one). Now, it's a water quality check, water change, minor correction if needed game and more WAIT for everything taking their own grow...Nothing good come too fast in this hobby! I probably doing monthly update from now :p
Here is a picture of the layout (sorry for crapy picture and under blue light)
20170920_184615.jpg
2x BTA
2x Green Carpet (Haddoni)
1x Gigantea Carpet
1x Torch Coral
Small Xenia colony, I wanted this taking over rock work, tank wall or as much as it can :p

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I removed the center power head circulation because it create quite a strong indirect flow and made my small green carpet moved but it did choose a perfect spot for my display too :p
Dual Haddoni Carpets.jpg
The small one refused to stay on open sand bed and moved to the rock/sand interface like the big green carpet. I'll probably put 2 smaller power head (1/3 power of the current one) 1 per each side that just create a indirect gentle flow.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I removed the center power head circulation because it create quite a strong indirect flow and made my small green carpet moved but it did choose a perfect spot for my display too :p
View attachment 1275509
The small one refused to stay on open sand bed and moved to the rock/sand interface like the big green carpet. I'll probably put 2 smaller power head (1/3 power of the current one) 1 per each side that just create a indirect gentle flow.

Looking fantastic!!! :)

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store