Datnoid Cloudy Eye

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
One of my 3 datnoids in a specific tank has developed a cloudy eye, only on one side, I haven't treated yet due to it being just the one & I don't know whats caused it.

I have the tank stocked with silver aro, African aro, stingray, 3 dats and 5 bichir. I've read it can be water parameters, but they're perfect. I've also heard it could be a disease which I am not ruling out, however, I also read it can be temperature change. Yesterday night the stingray was playing up, so I tested the temp of the water and it usually is 25.5-26.5 however it was 30!! I immediately took the heater out and put a spare I have, I then proceeded to do a 30-40% water change to bring the temp down a bit and just as a general cover for myself. I have only noticed this cloudy eye this morning however I have also seen the dats picking at each other, I'm really stuck as to what it could be so any comments to help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Josh

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
It's probably an injury if it's only one eye. If the water was the issue, you would generally see it in both eyes. I suspect the eye's outer lens has a slight scratch (witht he ray acting up, substrate may have hit the eye). It could take a month for the cloudiness to completely go away with just clean tank water. Monitor for any eye swelling.

Reactions: kno4te

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Dats when they fight they generally go for the eye. It could have been struck by another dat during a tustle. Keep the water clean, add some salt and should clear up. Pics would help to determine the severity.

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
I cant be substrate because I personally prefer to not use any in this specific tank just with how the ray looks against the bottom. Ive never added salt to an aquarium because Ive always feared how fish like the Ray and Arowanas would take it, especially with the Ray being so delicate. So more leading towards the fact its just scuffed it on the heater surrounding, intake for filter or been hit by another datnoid, will it naturally heal? Because the one with it from what Ive seen seems to be the most dominant datnoid. I have 4 other dats in another tank and there is no aggression between the pack, guessing because they were bought together where as these ones are much smaller and all different types and from different places.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store