Decisions, Decisions. Polys in a planted tank

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
I think Java moss won't be a problem, but the main problem - how would you attach it. In case you plan to use some kind of net around driftwood - I can't see how that can be torn apart. Also, maybe you can attach some photos or a plan how an attached piece should look like.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
All of the upper jaw species excepting the big three (ornate, teugelsi, weeksii) would work for you:
- Senegal / albino
- Delhezi - cool looking, esp. WC in my opinion, but some CB have nice patterning.
- Polli - agreed that they are really active and personable
- Palmas
- Mokelembembe
- Buettekoferi (tend to hide)
- Retropinnis (tend to hide)

I also love rope fish and they love a scaped tank. I'd do a group of 3-5 of them along with whatever other polys. Be sure to secure every teeny tiny little gap if you go the rope route - duct tape works well for that.

What else were you thinking outside of polys?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Polli, moke, sens, butt, Palmas, all good choices. Del will pull out "planted" plants but still an awesome choice. Palmas and butt will hide my moke hides a lot also. Ropes agree with magpie magpie 3 to infinity is good. I have 7 and honestly id like 3 to 5 more and get the other bigger polys out.....not that i'd ever do it I like them to much. But a large rope tank with a large school of Congo tetras would be really cool.
Welcome back!

thatrandomfishkeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
As for the plants, I am planning on using fishing line, but I like the idea of using net for the moss! And in addition to polys, I was thinking about a school of congo tetras! I plan on doing weekly water changes of 20%, so after a group of say 6 ropes, how many polys would y'all suggest. I've kept one of the palmas varieties (LFS was unsure about what kind and I never really bothered to find out), dels, and sens and I loved them all. I would definitely be up for keeping all of those again. I have 2 penn plax cascade 1500's on order, so I think my tank will be adequately filtered for a large group. Each filter is rated at 350 gph with media iirc.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Lets see......if it was me, 5 ropes, 1 del, albino sen, sen, polli and 8 to 10 Congo tetras. If you want the congos to be 97% safe the entire time maybe drop the del. Ive got a group of 10 growing out now but I worry that I'm just fattening them up for my dels and teugs. Hope not but chances are good that I am.

Reactions: magpie

thatrandomfishkeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I'd definitely hate for the polys to make a snack of the congos, but perhaps if I get the congos first and then introduce the polys? Not a foolproof method by any means, but if they grow up together, it might lessen the chances of them getting swallowed up?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'd definitely hate for the polys to make a snack of the congos, but perhaps if I get the congos first and then introduce the polys? Not a foolproof method by any means, but if they grow up together, it might lessen the chances of them getting swallowed up?
I tried that with giant danios. I dont have giant danios anymore......
Oh! Almost forgot tried it with blackskirts in this tank before I mobed them over 1 blackskirt out of 6 left.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store