Delhezi size compatibility question

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
I'm going to be moving some fish to their semi-permanent home soon(it's a massive 300 gallon tote, huge score at $200, while I save up for an actual tank which is why it's semi) and want to have all intended inhabitants quarantined and good to go so I can add them all at once and not have to deal with the potential territory issues later that can come with adding fish to an established set up especially when dealing with cichlids.
I currently have:
2 Oscars around the 3.5-4" mark
1 red spot severum that's around 3-3.5"
1 Geophagus Surinamensis 7"
1 Black ghost knife 7.5-8"

I'm wanting to add a Chocolate cichlid (Hypselecara temporals) my LFS has them around 2-3" and a Delhezi Bichir and it seems like they only get them in around the 10" mark, so my question is what are the odds of losing a fish? Does everyone seem like they're at a good size to not be eaten? And if someone is a snackable size do you think keeping them fat and happy would discourage them from preying on each other? Or am I better off trying to find a different size Delhezi elsewhere?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm going to be moving some fish to their semi-permanent home soon(it's a massive 300 gallon tote, huge score at $200, while I save up for an actual tank which is why it's semi) and want to have all intended inhabitants quarantined and good to go so I can add them all at once and not have to deal with the potential territory issues later that can come with adding fish to an established set up especially when dealing with cichlids.
I currently have:
2 Oscars around the 3.5-4" mark
1 red spot severum that's around 3-3.5"
1 Geophagus Surinamensis 7"
1 Black ghost knife 7.5-8"

I'm wanting to add a Chocolate cichlid (Hypselecara temporals) my LFS has them around 2-3" and a Delhezi Bichir and it seems like they only get them in around the 10" mark, so my question is what are the odds of losing a fish? Does everyone seem like they're at a good size to not be eaten? And if someone is a snackable size do you think keeping them fat and happy would discourage them from preying on each other? Or am I better off trying to find a different size Delhezi elsewhere?

Personally I would search around for a smaller Delhezi. If you do decide to get the 10 inch Del remember this rule for Polypterus is anything that can fit in its mouth will be eaten.

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
Personally I would search around for a smaller Delhezi. If you do decide to get the 10 inch Del remember this rule for Polypterus is anything that can fit in its mouth will be eaten.
To go further, even if the fish are too tall bodied to fit in the Polypterus' mouth (as even small cichlids can appear to be), the bichir can deliver a hefty bite. I have seen my own grab fish and it only takes one thrash to kill the cichlid, even if the Poly doesn't end up eating it. Fortunately in my case, they were culls.

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
To go further, even if the fish are too tall bodied to fit in the Polypterus' mouth (as even small cichlids can appear to be), the bichir can deliver a hefty bite. I have seen my own grab fish and it only takes one thrash to kill the cichlid, even if the Poly doesn't end up eating it. Fortunately in my case, they were culls.
Oh man, what size d’you folks think would be “safe?” I’d probably have to order online and they seem to be around the 4” mark.
M Moose What are the odds of a 4 incher taking a bite out of one of my fish if they grow up together? Is that just a known risk with bichirs regardless of size or is there anything I can do to lessen that risk?
Bichirs are so cool and I really want one but if I came home to find someone dead and missing a chunk that sucker would be getting a deathroll from me!

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
Oh man, what size d’you folks think would be “safe?” I’d probably have to order online and they seem to be around the 4” mark.
M Moose What are the odds of a 4 incher taking a bite out of one of my fish if they grow up together? Is that just a known risk with bichirs regardless of size or is there anything I can do to lessen that risk?
Bichirs are so cool and I really want one but if I came home to find someone dead and missing a chunk that sucker would be getting a deathroll from me!
It's important to understand that bichirs are predators. If you look at a fish and think that he could potentially kill it, there's a chance he will. A well fed delhezi admittedly has a low chance of death rolling the head off of one of your cichlids like some of the more temperamental species do, but these are very individual fish.

Depending on that fish's individual personality, he could be more or less predatory/aggressive.

I don't think there is a 'safe size' when it comes to keeping fish like this. Also, length is a bad measure for bichirs. I would not trust my 10" senegal with an 8", slender fish. However, my 9" paratilapia (who is about 6" tall), is easily safe from predatory behaviour (from my bichirs, none of which exceed 14").

There is also the risk that while your bichir may not intentionally kill/damage your fish, these animals have very poor eye sight. If he is going for food, and you have a smaller cichlid going after that food, the cichlid could accidentally be bitten.

The risks of a delhezi bothering any of the fish you listed at adult sizes is slim to none, however. Getting a 4" del shouldn't be a problem, but your Oscars will outpace him and may eat him like a tasty worm.

I also do not think that BGKs and bichirs go well together, but I have relatively little experience here - you should do more research.

Ultimately, I would get the 10" delhezi, put him in the tank with the BGK/Geophagus, and move the Oscar/Severum to something else for a few months to let them get some bulk. I know Oscars grow ridiculously quickly, so doubling their size in 3 months shouldn't be a problem at all with clean water and good food.

That's the safe approach. There's also the chance you buy the bichir, toss everyone together, and it works out fine. That's the chance when it comes to this sort of animal. There's no one on this forum, or in the world, who can tell you what is going to happen. Buy the fish you want (responsibly and with due research), quarantine, and then observe them cohabiting the same space. Don't add the fish before you go to work. Ideally when you have a few days to watch them all together so you can get an idea of the dynamic.

Reactions: BenPen and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

A four inch Del would most definitely give you a chance of growing out your stock together but no guarantee that any fish will be harmed . Delhezi are pretty mild. I personally have one and never seen it bite another fish.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's important to understand that bichirs are predators. If you look at a fish and think that he could potentially kill it, there's a chance he will. A well fed delhezi admittedly has a low chance of death rolling the head off of one of your cichlids like some of the more temperamental species do, but these are very individual fish.

Depending on that fish's individual personality, he could be more or less predatory/aggressive.

I don't think there is a 'safe size' when it comes to keeping fish like this. Also, length is a bad measure for bichirs. I would not trust my 10" senegal with an 8", slender fish. However, my 9" paratilapia (who is about 6" tall), is easily safe from predatory behaviour (from my bichirs, none of which exceed 14").

There is also the risk that while your bichir may not intentionally kill/damage your fish, these animals have very poor eye sight. If he is going for food, and you have a smaller cichlid going after that food, the cichlid could accidentally be bitten.

The risks of a delhezi bothering any of the fish you listed at adult sizes is slim to none, however. Getting a 4" del shouldn't be a problem, but your Oscars will outpace him and may eat him like a tasty worm.

I also do not think that BGKs and bichirs go well together, but I have relatively little experience here - you should do more research.

Ultimately, I would get the 10" delhezi, put him in the tank with the BGK/Geophagus, and move the Oscar/Severum to something else for a few months to let them get some bulk. I know Oscars grow ridiculously quickly, so doubling their size in 3 months shouldn't be a problem at all with clean water and good food.

That's the safe approach. There's also the chance you buy the bichir, toss everyone together, and it works out fine. That's the chance when it comes to this sort of animal. There's no one on this forum, or in the world, who can tell you what is going to happen. Buy the fish you want (responsibly and with due research), quarantine, and then observe them cohabiting the same space. Don't add the fish before you go to work. Ideally when you have a few days to watch them all together so you can get an idea of the dynamic.

I agree and forgot about the Oscar.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'd get the 10" del. I doubt it would be the cause of to much issue they are pretty mellow. But if it will easily fit in its mouth then its possibly going to become a meal. I don't think any of your fish are in the danger zone. If you get a 4" one you more possibly run the risk of the del being eaten by your Os. I've got three dels and while they at least 2 of them have eaten other fish the third hasn't ever at least that's what I was told. My dels have been in with smaller fish and it seems the threshold is anything bigger then 3" in length and 1" tall is probably going to be safe, Unless extremely slow or dumb. Like said by others polys are predatory fish and as such when opportunity presents itself it may take the option. Not saying it will, just may.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I'd get the 10" del. I doubt it would be the cause of to much issue they are pretty mellow. But if it will easily fit in its mouth then its possibly going to become a meal. I don't think any of your fish are in the danger zone. If you get a 4" one you more possibly run the risk of the del being eaten by your Os. I've got three dels and while they at least 2 of them have eaten other fish the third hasn't ever at least that's what I was told. My dels have been in with smaller fish and it seems the threshold is anything bigger then 3" in length and 1" tall is probably going to be safe, Unless extremely slow or dumb. Like said by others polys are predatory fish and as such when opportunity presents itself it may take the option. Not saying it will, just may.
+1
The fish u have do have some good depth in size and it should be fine. Just don’t feed live food. Don’t want the delhezi to think anything moving is also food b

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store