Dither Fish for peacock bass HELP!!!

Samt123

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Hey everyone,

I just moved a few days ago and I'm faced with a challenge I did not see coming. I have a peacock bass who is about 4' right now and he is extremely shy and frantic after the move, it been about 5 days. When I first got him he was about 2' and had the same shyness as he does now. The issue of his shyness was solved when I put in a large swordtail in there with him and it helped out by being the dither fish, I have since moved the sword out of there because the bass had been getting a bit too big. At this point, in my new location, I only have a small Petco around me and its hard to find a fish big enough to use as a dither fish. My only option at this point is to use the largest feeder Goldfish that they have. The issue I face with this is that I do not have a quarantine tank to house these goldfish in to be sure that they don't have a disease. Does anyone have any idea around this? The Petco does have a few juvenile peacock cichlids and a blood parrot cichlid as well but I know I will end up wanting to keep those guys and I don't have space in my grow out to hold them. What's my best option here? My bass hasn't been eating much because I used to hand feed him so I am just at a loss. I am thinking about just getting the dither goldfish that I can rehome in my backyard pond after the bass gets a bit more social. Please let me know any suggestions!

Samt123

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
What is your location??
Smack dab in the middle of the bay area. I know, you'd think that we have a large supply of aquariums around to fill the demand of pet owners but the closest "aquarium" I have around me is about 30-45 minutes away and I'm not even sure that they have a large freshwater section. Plus with all the new shelter in place rules that are being held in my area, it's a threat to think about going a distance to POSSIBLY get a dither fish.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Smack dab in the middle of the bay area. I know, you'd think that we have a large supply of aquariums around to fill the demand of pet owners but the closest "aquarium" I have around me is about 30-45 minutes away and I'm not even sure that they have a large freshwater section. Plus with all the new shelter in place rules that are being held in my area, it's a threat to think about going a distance to POSSIBLY get a dither fish.
Many of us order fish online......tons of options. how big is tank? And of course what is your budget??

Reactions: dr exum

Samt123

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Many of us order fish online......tons of options. how big is tank? And of course what is your budget??
The tank is a 55G, I know getting fish online is always an option but I'm very hesitant to ever try. If I was to order fish online what do you think I should go for? My budget is reasonably low, I wouldn't want to pay $40 shipping for a $5 fish.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
The tank is a 55G, I know getting fish online is always an option but I'm very hesitant to ever try. If I was to order fish online what do you think I should go for? My budget is reasonably low, I wouldn't want to pay $40 shipping for a $5 fish.
Not a 5 dollars fish.....it would cost you to drive an hour each way for a fish store plus all your time. I suggest to look at multiple west coast sites and make a wish list. The 55 gallon should be good for two months or so and then you will need to think closer to 300 gallons for that bass. Pick something that will grow at least as fast as the bass.....larger Silver dollars are good to mix with bass for example especially if you dont plant the tank. You have to think long term with the bass as it will be able to eat everything at your local Petco in just a few months.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed on the silver dollars and keep in mind that most young cichla tend to be skittish until they get a little size on them
.I wouldn't worry about it as long as the fish is eating well.

Reactions: MFM
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store