DIY Plywood 1200Gallon -Officialy Started

toweraquaticservices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2011
Florida
Great looking tank and kudos on the skills

I built a 112 gallon and when I set the windows in, I had a few gaps like you had, i just filled with silicone and is holding water like a champ

Best of Luck

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Just another great example of the fact that less is more.. I think i had to much silicon on the window, so that i didnt get to push it good enough to the surface, making small airlines in there. Leaktested on sunday, and had 2 minor leaks in the front, cant see any other opinion than the fact that it is the window.. I did put on more silicone yesterday, from the bottom of the window to the bottom of the tank, now im gonna wait til sunday before i do another leak test, think i might went to fast on the first layer(3,5 days).. I really hope the new silicone cures to the old one. It will cure to some window aswell as the epoxy on both sides..

When you build a tank this size, and you drain it, the hose emptys almost all of it, leaving 2cm left on the bottom.. AAAND, 2cm on this surface area is a hell of alot of water.. i think those 2 cm were about 160L of water that i had to take out manually.. took me over an houre.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
A little sketch of what i did last night, blue is the first layer of silicone, red is the new, really hope it works out. And there is offcourse silicone betwen the glass and the walls.

Little sketch.png

rustyspurs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
ballynahinch n. ireland
i had exactly the same problem and had to use almost every towel in the house to get those last 2cm of water.
are you using aquarium grade silicone?
i didn't and it caused my leaks as the normal stuff cant take the water pressure of the big tanks.
if you have used aquarium grade, framing the window with the new silicone will work as this is what finally sealed my tank.
Chin up mate, you'll get there, it really is a ***** having to wait on silicone again though... i remember it well :)

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
When you build a tank this size, and you drain it, the hose emptys almost all of it, leaving 2cm left on the bottom.. AAAND, 2cm on this surface area is a hell of alot of water.. i think those 2 cm were about 160L of water that i had to take out manually.. took me over an houre.
A wetdry shop vac would work perfect for that. I use one when I get spills on my floor sucks water right up even through carpet. Good to have for those emergencies when 50+ gallons of water leaks on to your floor!

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
i had exactly the same problem and had to use almost every towel in the house to get those last 2cm of water.
are you using aquarium grade silicone?
i didn't and it caused my leaks as the normal stuff cant take the water pressure of the big tanks.
if you have used aquarium grade, framing the window with the new silicone will work as this is what finally sealed my tank.
Chin up mate, you'll get there, it really is a ***** having to wait on silicone again though... i remember it well :)

I did use the aquarium grade silicone yes :) I hope this will work out, dont want to take the window out at all, its so frikking heavy. If its not dry this time, im out of options, it has to go out..

Vidar-Alexander

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
Sauda/ Norway
A little sketch of what i did last night, blue is the first layer of silicone, red is the new, really hope it works out. And there is offcourse silicone betwen the glass and the walls.
Looking good. The red marking is like i told you to first. Not just to stop leaks, but also to protect the edge of the hardened glas. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store