Does this tank have to many fish for this filter.

GrapeGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2019
I have a 55 gallon community fish tank with a fluval 406 filter. When I check the ammonia with the liquid API tester it always comes back as .25ppm. The tanks been established for years.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
How often do you change the water?
.25 can kill fish. The filter is not going to keep ammonia down. The bacteria in the filter and tank will.
If this is a recent problem it appears the tank may be doing another cycle. Adding a lot of fish will raise the ammonia, but the bacteria colony will also increase in time with the added ammonia. Make sure you use Prime until the ammonia and nitrite levels go down. Do plenty of water changes also.

Reactions: tlindsey

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Changing the water is not the resolution. Need the bacteria. Water changes and Prime are short term fixes.
When a tank is cycled ammonia and nitrites should be 0. Nitrates will build up and are a big reason why we do periodic water changes. With a high bio load bigger than 50% and more often than weekly.
Make sure you are testing for nitrites and nitrates al;so. If you don't know about cycling you should read up in the forum.
If you have tested before for some time and all was well then it appears that something crashed the tank or your test kit is giving false readings.

Reactions: tlindsey

GrapeGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2019
I have prime but don't use it because my water comes from a well. Do I still need to use it?

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
Or build up biological bacteria. How long has it been since you have done filter maintenence

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store