Double 10 gal sump/fuge suggestions?

saltydiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2015
United States
Hello again ladies and Gents, I don't post here often, but only because I can usually find the answers to any questions by perusing the "threads of old" so to speak.

I am in the process of building a separate sump and fuge, each to occupy a Wally world white box 10 gallon. These will be attached via a uniseal ( I will drill one tank about 4" below the top edge, so the pipe connecting them will lie on the rim of the other, supporting the weight) and fill the space beneath my 55. This tank will be Fowlr (puffers) for a while, while I get used to everything corals need, but would like to do a mixed reef with it one day. Attached you should find a rough sketch of my plans at the moment.

I have built a 1" diy overflow which is currently working wonderfully, I will also build another which reaches slightly higher than running water level for an emergency drain.
I plan to use:
Pump: Danner mag 5 at 4 ft 6in head height
Skimmer: sca 65/ 301, providing the 17.5" tall dimensions I found are correct, as my stand only gives me about 26" of height.
1" PVC: for drain and maybe return.
Overflow: DIY, yes I trust it, I have left it off (not draining) for a week and it started again immediately upon taking in water, so it is air tight. I don't use a check valve because they don't work as check valves.

I didn't mark heater position, but I am of the understanding it would be best in the skimmer compt.

I also didn't mark a ball valve above the T after pump to adjust flow to DT.

Questions:
1. If anyone that runs an sca 301 can verify the height of it I would be greatly appreciative.
2. Should I run 3/4" for return? I have read alot that implies drain could/should be one size larger than return. Maybe I'm reading too far into it, I can't really see a reason not to just use 1" everywhere, but a creative mind might conclude that one size smaller than an adequate drain line would be a good size to return.
3. Those of you that run sca 301/ 65's, how deep are they set in the water? I'm not too keen on the idea of setting baffle height before I get the skimmer, but enough people giving me the same depth might convince me.
4. I know there are many pro's here, or at least people who may have fish older than me, so if you see Anything that may be an issue down the line, or immediately, don't hesitate to correct me, I'm a usmc vet and I can take being wrong :)

P.S.: I could also use a good source of chaeto and macro algae, anyone want to ship me some?

Thanks in advance for the help I have no doubt you all will be.

IMG_20160223_075603781.jpg

saltydiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2015
United States
Also forgot to mention;
I'll have 88lbs of liverock throughout the system.
I'm also undecided as to the utility of a sand bed vs the maintenance? Am I better off with a bare bottom and macros with a good flow through the fuge to keep it tumbling?
If we can sort this out I've got hundreds more questions and theories for the 135 gal in my livingroom. but for now, we tackle the 55.

saltydiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2015
United States
I'm drilling the tank and putting it together tomorrow evening. Is there somewhere else I could post this to get the right attention?

carbene

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2013
SF BA
im not a saltwater keeper but i can offer some insight to your plumbing. Your drawings looks fine. Drain should be one size larger than return unless return line has been reduced by a control valve

Reactions: saltydiver

saltydiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2015
United States
Well I'm about to get started on this. I am pretty confident in the design, but i would've liked some input. Some of you who viewed certainly have the knowledge. I have witnessed this forum jump to help several others, mostly women, just to note ( psychologically, you cant help this) Thanks for all the help. Don't bother replying as I'm not logging back in here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store