Dwarf Hairgrass experiment in Ram Cichlid tank

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
What's up fish people, so we've all dreamed of an amazing carpeting plant to be successful in our tanks, and this is my second try at dwarf hairgrass. My first attempt was in my own 75 gallon freshwater community. After a few days, my silver dollars absolutely tore it all out and I could not grow it. So I decided to try it in a 20 gallon ram tank. lemme know what you think of this and how the grass will do. I've planted hairgrass in a my girlfriends 20 gallon ram cichlid tank. Temp is kept around 78, parameters all normal readings for rams, and only dosing with API Co2 booster daily. Tank has regular lighting and good circulation with the help of a current fan. How will this grass do in this tank? I realize it would be a better result with a Co2 diffuser, but that's not an option for me because I really don't care enough to buy that, just curious. Reply and let me know please! Thanks. -Mike

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i've pulled off growing Dwarf Hair Grass before in a low tech planted tank, but the results werent the best (didnt really spread out well, then died as i neglected the plant) then again, it was in a 60G with only medium light at the time...

In a 20G, with decent light + nutrient rich substarte you might be able to pull it off, just gotta watch and see if there are runners coming off the original plant after a week or two...

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
^ i've pulled off growing Dwarf Hair Grass before in a low tech planted tank, but the results werent the best (didnt really spread out well, then died as i neglected the plant) then again, it was in a 60G with only medium light at the time...

In a 20G, with decent light + nutrient rich substarte you might be able to pull it off, just gotta watch and see if there are runners coming off the original plant after a week or two...
Thank you so much, too bad you couldn't get it going in a 60g. The substrate in this case unfortunately isn't nutrient rich, it's just regular small gravel. Is there anything else I can dose with to improve runner growth of this plant?

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ the 60G has always been my way to test what plants work and dont work in a low tech setup, and if they dont i usually move them to my high tech one, so all good...

In your case, you could potentially try adding just one or two root tabs under your carpeting plant area so that they will get all they need...

Reactions: Mbielek

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
^ the 60G has always been my way to test what plants work and dont work in a low tech setup, and if they dont i usually move them to my high tech one, so all good...

In your case, you could potentially try adding just one or two root tabs under your carpeting plant area so that they will get all they need...
Oh so there is an actual substance I can put in my substrate for them? What's the best brand?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Seachem / API / ADA and im sure there are more brands all make root tabs for aquatic plants, just need literally 1 or 2 in selected areas with plants that area heavy root feeders and should be good to go...

Too many on the other hand and you may hve too much excess nurtients which will cause algae... so start with 1-2 and work from there..,

Alternatively, you could use liquid ferts, but i find root tabs might be easier to start with...

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
^ Seachem / API / ADA and im sure there are more brands all make root tabs for aquatic plants, just need literally 1 or 2 in selected areas with plants that area heavy root feeders and should be good to go...

Too many on the other hand and you may hve too much excess nurtients which will cause algae... so start with 1-2 and work from there..,

Alternatively, you could use liquid ferts, but i find root tabs might be easier to start with...
Sounds good, thanks again because I am obviously new to starting a carpet plant and have no idea what to really do. I'll keep everybody updated on results after a few weeks of using root tabs

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I normally find root tabs can do quite a lot for carpeting plants in the past... so good luck with it and definitely keep us updated...

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I've been using diy root tabs lately and love them. I also tried dwarf hairgrass in my low tech tank after I ripped out an entire 10x10 inch mat in my high tech tank. 20 gallon shrimp tank with eco complete substrate, dual t5ho lighting, and diy root tabs. Metricide for carbon source. Dwarf hairgrass died out pretty quickly.

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
I've been using diy root tabs lately and love them. I also tried dwarf hairgrass in my low tech tank after I ripped out an entire 10x10 inch mat in my high tech tank. 20 gallon shrimp tank with eco complete substrate, dual t5ho lighting, and diy root tabs. Metricide for carbon source. Dwarf hairgrass died out pretty quickly.
I will try the root tabs and just see what happens, would be interesting if they actually take off in a low tech planted tank. Thanks for the input! Would love to see a pic of your planted tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store