Dwarf Hairgrass experiment in Ram Cichlid tank

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
low tech still growing in, and high tech after a major trim and reorganization. I wouldn't get your hopes up on the hairgrass taking off.

View attachment 1233416

View attachment 1233417
Both incredible tanks, love the setup. I wouldn't even necessarily be upset if my hairgrass didn't spread at all. I've layer it out pretty well that it gives the bottom tank a cool look, even if not filled in. Will it at least stay alive and green for a bit? Again only dosing API Co2 and starting root tabs

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Both incredible tanks, love the setup. I wouldn't even necessarily be upset if my hairgrass didn't spread at all. I've layer it out pretty well that it gives the bottom tank a cool look, even if not filled in. Will it at least stay alive and green for a bit? Again only dosing API Co2 and starting root tabs
I've found DHG to be good, and a curse at the same time. Honestly, for your sake, you should hope it doesn't spread. Trimming it is a nightmare, it traps any debris that may be floating by, and because it traps so much it can become a breeding ground for algae. This is why I ripped out the entire carpet. Older picture of the high tech tank attached. Looking at it again, that carpet was way bigger than I thought it was. The tank is 24x18 if that gives some perspective.
Also, is that a bristlenose pleco in the bottom right corner of the high tech tank?
Yes. There are two long finned albino bushy noses down there.

20161015_084127.jpg

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
I've found DHG to be good, and a curse at the same time. Honestly, for your sake, you should hope it doesn't spread. Trimming it is a nightmare, it traps any debris that may be floating by, and because it traps so much it can become a breeding ground for algae. This is why I ripped out the entire carpet. Older picture of the high tech tank attached. Looking at it again, that carpet was way bigger than I thought it was. The tank is 24x18 if that gives some perspective.

Yes. There are two long finned albino bushy noses down there.

View attachment 1233418
Let's hope it won't actually spread then after thinking about that...and I'm in need for a smaller pleco right now for my community cichlid tank, 75g. I have two parrots, one green Terror, 3 silver dollars and right now a regular pleco that is almost up to 5 inches now. Everybody on this site says to get rid of him asap and invest in a bush nose.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Let's hope it won't actually spread then after thinking about that...and I'm in need for a smaller pleco right now for my community cichlid tank, 75g. I have two parrots, one green Terror, 3 silver dollars and right now a regular pleco that is almost up to 5 inches now. Everybody on this site says to get rid of him asap and invest in a bush nose.
I should state that I don't intend to discourage you from growing DHG. Just explaining the experience I had with it.
I would agree with getting rid of him, but you don't necessarily HAVE to go with a bushy nose. My favorite pleco by far is the L200.

Reactions: Mbielek

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
I should state that I don't intend to discourage you from growing DHG. Just explaining the experience I had with it.
I would agree with getting rid of him, but you don't necessarily HAVE to go with a bushy nose. My favorite pleco by far is the L200.
I'm obviously looking for one that stays smaller, and only needs to feed off algae/waste in my tank. I'm worried that I'll at some point need to feed my regular pleco actual food...I've seen plecs at the store up to 14 inches

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
You should feed all plecos regular food.
New to me, I've been told that a small plec will only require the remains of foods that aren't eatin in a community tank, or feed of algae and waste. I've heard of people feeding tomatoes and zucchini, but that's not my plan. I'd rather get rid of him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store