Dwarf Hairgrass experiment in Ram Cichlid tank

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Bettlebug brought up a good point, DHG doesnt seem to like liquid carbon sources...

And definitely agree with it trapping stuff, same reason i ripped my old tanks carpet out in my 50G....

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Also, plecos will almost always create more waste than they clean... so algae may dissapear, but poop will be easily doubled...

Reactions: Mbielek

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Also, plecos will almost always create more waste than they clean... so algae may dissapear, but poop will be easily doubled...
Will get rid of my plec within a week. Are they necessary at all to have in a tank? What are the "cons" of not having a pleco in a 75g community tank.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
New to me, I've been told that a small plec will only require the remains of foods that aren't eatin in a community tank, or feed of algae and waste. I've heard of people feeding tomatoes and zucchini, but that's not my plan. I'd rather get rid of him.
Thats another one of those stupid myths that newbie fish keepers con themselves in to because they are lazy. Don't get any more unless you plan on feeding them properly.

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Thats another one of those stupid myths that newbie fish keepers con themselves in to because they are lazy. Don't get any more unless you plan on feeding them properly.
I didint make a decision on whether or not to feed my pleco...I was literally new to buying them and the fish store owner told me what to do with him. I've had him for 6 months and he's done wonders, been very healthy and growing, and I've never fed him anything extra. I realize that he will eventually need food, which is why I'm getting rid of him now so he may move on to a more beneficial environment.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
If people want to feed a pleco properly off of algae alone, they should remember that algae isn't very nutritious and therefore the plecos need to consume a lot of it. The tank should look like this. Most people don't want that, so they should just stick to feeding them like all other fish.

20160913_163522.jpg

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I didint make a decision on whether or not to feed my pleco...I was literally new to buying them and the fish store owner told me what to do with him. I've had him for 6 months and he's done wonders, been very healthy and growing, and I've never fed him anything extra. I realize that he will eventually need food, which is why I'm getting rid of him now so he may move on to a more beneficial environment.
Sorry, this is just one of those things that really peeves me about some fish keepers.

Mbielek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
If people want to feed a pleco properly off of algae alone, they should remember that algae isn't very nutritious and therefore the plecos need to consume a lot of it. The tank should look like this. Most people don't want that, so they should just stick to feeding them like all other fish.

View attachment 1233422
Understandable, I'm only going off my experience here. I do intend to sell him back though. He keeps my tank spotless, which is why I acquired him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store