Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
An update of Covid in Panama, via one of the daily Email updates I get, as a U.S. resident.

Health Alert - U.S. Embassy Panama City, Panama (May 16, 2020)
  
Event:  COVID-19 Situation Report and Reminders

On May 15, the Government of Panama extended the suspension of international commercial passenger flights for an additional 30 days until June 22.  The previous exceptions for cargo, humanitarian, medical supplies, medical evacuation, and vaccines remain in place.

On May 15, Panama’s Ministry of Health (MINSA) confirmed 9,268 cases of COVID-19.

This site is really good:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My province is most likely going to stay under a stricter lockdown than the rest of the country. Lot's of time to continue with online learning then.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Garden centres open now in the uk. I went to my local one yesterday as it also houses my LFS. The car park is huge at this garden centre. And I have never seen it so full. I drove in, thought sod this for a lark, and drove straight back out. The queue of people to actually get in was all round the building. God knows what it was like inside, the social distancing, just going off the amount of cars in the car park, I can only assume would have been nigh on impossible.

Things might work out fine, but they might not either. Time will tell whether the government have made the right call in allowing some businesses to re open.

Reactions: deeda and Jexnell

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Things might work out fine, but they might not either. Time will tell whether the government have made the right call in allowing some businesses to re open.
May 17, 20202 Hello; If you were to talk to my brother he could tell you how enraged I was over the extended lockdowns and especially over the huge federal deficit spending bills rationalized with the virus. Leaving the spending aside I do have an opinion on the current re-openings.

Near as I could tell around my area the shelter in place and social distancing never much took hold among the population. I concede right away my scope has been limited and it may well be that every where else folks were towing the line on the two items. I am not saying people did not do any of the stay at home or social distancing, because some did around me. Some, but no where near most. I saw too many examples of those not doing either all thru the shutdowns even tho I had reduced my outings many fold.
I do know plenty of people did not wear a mask and still do not. That lots of people did not keep the six feet distance. I just do not know what difference these "violators" may have made. Enough of a preamble, let me get to the point.

I do figure with the re-opening that there will be some increase in the infection rate. I can only guess as to how the rate will change so I will not guess. The virus is still around and data suggesting from 25% to 50% of the infected do not show symptoms suggests as more people get out and about there will be a continued spread of the virus. Some will latch on any uptick in the number of cases actually making people sick as proof we should have stayed in restricted lockdowns. OK, If the number of new cases might somehow be the only thing that matters then those folks would win. I do not see things that way.

I do figure there will be an uptick in new cases and also figure this is to be expected but there is much more in the overall big picture. Perhaps the single biggest item being these lockdowns run the risk of doing more damage that the illness itself. ( I think they already have) Our economic survival is at risk but that is not what I am getting at here. These shutdowns are affecting the capacity of the systems we depend on in our daily lives. Food production may be the bigger of these issues but not the only one. Another simple to understand area is the breakdown of treatment of other medical issues. One being mentioned is how there has been an average of 150,000 new cases of cancer diagnosed each month for a long time and that now many fewer people are getting checked. This implies a lot of folks with new cancers are not going to be diagnosed as early. I for example was supposed to go in for a follow up a couple of months ago. Last summer my doctor decided to do a biopsy which turned out OK, but I have missed the follow up for a time. Heck, I do not know if that doctor has held on to her practice.

So I guess my point is there will be a trade off from these re-openings. Yes it is likely there will be an uptick in new cases but at the same time the other damage from the shutdowns will not continue. I do fear there is already ample of damage in place from the lockdowns we have just been through. I have more to say but will pause here.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The cost to our government of the furloughing system is really scary. I can understand completely why they want to get the economy up and running again. The longer this goes on the greater the chances of a global recession that we've never seen the likes of before. I have no doubt in my mind that the uk government, once all this is over, are going to come out with something that usually means the end of public support for any government.......income tax hikes.

Reactions: skjl47

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Not to sound cynical, but I'll believe it when I see it.
I was expecting more news on this, but it has not been delivered.
But bad news travels very fast. The truth, not so quick.

What if it works, but costs $100k per dose to produce?
Or only $1? but it took a long time... Would we see disturbances?
Very strange things can happen in our current social climate.

I'm praying for normalcy.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
What if it works, but costs $100k per dose to produce?
Hello; Yes that unfortunately is possible. I have seen reports of other doses of medicines at such an expense. That would be a shame. I guess a good thing appears to be that if current understanding continues to hold, then only a few who get really bad sick would need it. l have heard speculation that over 99% of the infected recover on their own. Barring some new wrinkle such as a lingering side effect from the virus, most should be OK without special medication.
Old guys like me might need some extra help. I go between fear and resignation. Resignation is something I try to do from time to time even before this new virus. I am old and just by being old am at increased risk of something putting me down. A suspicion I have about this new virus. That being some old folks who pass already had one foot on a bananna peel or two so to speak. By that I mean a number of other things could have triggered a downfall if they had gotten them same as the virus did. It may have just happened to be the new virus that pushed them over the edge. I case of the common flu maybe. Anyway I try to get an attitude from time to time so I get out and do things instead of hiding. Even if I hide something will end me at some point.

Some may hope a government might pick up the cost but we still wind up paying in the long run. Governments do not make money ( maybe do not make wealth is the better term.) Yes governments can print currency and they do, but the wealth that money is based on comes from people and businesses that actually do produce something.
Let me predict something I am confident about. My country has increased the national debt by at least 3 trillion dollars with legislation passed for this virus. I think some more trillions may wind up in play thru the federal reserve. My prediction is the value of the dollar will be diluted. I would call it inflation but that may not be the acceptable term. I figure it will take more dollars to buy an item than before. If this is not an acceptable topic, please let me know.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
l have heard speculation that over 99% of the infected recover on their own. Barring some new wrinkle such as a lingering side effect from the virus, most should be OK without special medication.
Tell that to the 10's of thousands of those who didn't have one foot on a bananna peel, and died from this virus.
Along with the many thousands of those who will have lingering health conditions, directly or indirectly caused from being exposed to this virus. It all sounds so clean & clinical, when one is simply tossing around numbers.

Reactions: Ulu
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store