Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
RD - I hope you're wrong too, but I'm afraid you are right. On Friday they opened up restaurants just across the border from us in Oregon where we all like to shop and eat out. On Friday we had four recovered cases in our community. Since the weekend we have an additional 11 newly diagnosed cases. We are definitely going the wrong direction and things are opening up around here which doesn't bode well for our little community. We're a small redneck community, and the prevailing sentiment seems to be "real men don't wear masks"

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I took these images moments ago from my front porch. About the same time as the first lockdowns started many weeks ago construction started on the road in front of my house. The highway will be repaved.
The red dirt areas on the opposite were well cared for green slopes. They have been working on what will be a walking trail. The block wall is about finished but I have no idea when the walking trail will be finished and paved. This walking trail was an idea started by an individual some years ago. He wanted it but hardly anyone else did . He passed away some time back and we thought the trail was not going to happen, but we were wrong.
I guess a walking trail is somehow a "critical" job that had to bb done in the middle of a pandemic. I see the crews working close together day after day. To me just another example of non compliance in the fractured effort to slow the virus. Early on at the start when the governor of TN had decreed a statewide shutdown I spoke the TDOT engineer on this job. He explained as to how his crew were exempt from the shutdown.
DSCN8743.JPGDSCN8740.JPGDSCN8742.JPG

Last edited:

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
BINGO!!!! My little rural community has hit the jackpot!! A week ago we had a total of 4 cases of COVID-19, all recovered. Today we have 19 active cases with another 143 tests still pending. A week ago, the Public Health Officer announced the reopening of our community to be done in phases.

On another front, the militants are agitating and some stores are denying entry if a mask is worn. Very foolish.

• Sad
Reactions: deeda

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Interesting how so many things now days turn into the equivalent of a culture war. I am still wearing a mask when I go into a store but there are far more without a mask on or not on properly worn than with one. A significant number of those I saw with a mask on today were not wearing it properly. Several had their nose uncovered and only the mouth covered. One woman had her mask pulled down under her chin. So the lines are being drawn here but so far I have not witnessed anything like refusing entry without a mask.

A couple of good news bits this past week. First is the CDC is now saying infections from contaminated surfaces are much less likely. They now seem to think most infections are from person to person. Aerosol or droplet spread I guess.

The other is a number assigned to how many infected do not show symptoms. I think I heard 35%. I was hoping for 50% to be the case, but 35% is still an encouraging number to me. While I get why this might be a cause for fear by some, to me it is a positive sign. My thinking being this has likely been true of the virus all along starting back in November/ December when it first got out. Add to this that something over 80% of the infected have an illness they can fight off without being in a hospital. ( I speculate that % will turn out to be higher when the counts are in.)
These are the two main things making me think the virus already has been more saturated in the population than previously considered by official counts. How to phrase this? A third thing also is even with the enhanced testing recently only a small percentage of the total population has been tested. That is still testing for active virus only I think. As the capacity for number of daily/weekly tests for the virus has increased there is a corresponding increase in the number of positives.
This increase in the number of positives does not directly mean an increase in the actual infection rate. ( Note- this is not just me speculation, but comes from media reports.) I think this means an increased number of positives comes to some degree more from the increased testing than just from new cases. I hope that is understandable.

Anyway these two items seem more positive than negative to this wannabe.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Testing? What testing? I don't know anyone that has been tested, outside of my mom who at 90 yrs of age landed in the hospital a couple of weeks ago with a temp. The testing taking place in Canada is a complete and utter farce. The stats from same will be similar. Perhaps things are different in the USA, I sure hope so.

As far as the CDC report, while encouraging, somewhat, again, it doesn't exactly equate to an exact science on this topic. The exact same thing can be said about most strains of influenza.

From the CDC ...

“The virus does not spread easily in other ways,” including by touching surfaces, the website says. But that doesn’t mean touch is zero-risk.

“It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus,” the CDC wrote.

I was travelling about after work tonight, in areas where the masses congregate - WalMart, Home Depot, etc. I saw a LOT of people out and about, on a day where it has been raining non stop, and the temp was in the 40's. Out of all of the people I sat and watched coming and going like ants to syrup, I only saw 1 person donning a mask. Nothing positive to report here.

pacu mom pacu mom - sorry to hear that, stay safe.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
A third thing also is even with the enhanced testing recently only a small percentage of the total population has been tested.
Testing? What testing?

First is the CDC is now saying infections from contaminated surfaces are much less likely
But that doesn’t mean touch is zero-risk
Hello; Appears we are saying pretty much the same thing but in different ways. I am beginning to be concerned, are we starting to get along?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
BINGO!!!! My little rural community has hit the jackpot!! A week ago we had a total of 4 cases of COVID-19, all recovered. Today we have 19 active cases with another 143 tests still pending. A week ago, the Public Health Officer announced the reopening of our community to be done in phases.

On another front, the militants are agitating and some stores are denying entry if a mask is worn. Very foolish.
Hello; Interesting how so many things now days turn into the equivalent of a culture war. I am still wearing a mask when I go into a store but there are far more without a mask on or not on properly worn than with one. A significant number of those I saw with a mask on today were not wearing it properly. Several had their nose uncovered and only the mouth covered. One woman had her mask pulled down under her chin. So the lines are being drawn here but so far I have not witnessed anything like refusing entry without a mask.

A couple of good news bits this past week. First is the CDC is now saying infections from contaminated surfaces are much less likely. They now seem to think most infections are from person to person. Aerosol or droplet spread I guess.

The other is a number assigned to how many infected do not show symptoms. I think I heard 35%. I was hoping for 50% to be the case, but 35% is still an encouraging number to me. While I get why this might be a cause for fear by some, to me it is a positive sign. My thinking being this has likely been true of the virus all along starting back in November/ December when it first got out. Add to this that something over 80% of the infected have an illness they can fight off without being in a hospital. ( I speculate that % will turn out to be higher when the counts are in.)
These are the two main things making me think the virus already has been more saturated in the population than previously considered by official counts. How to phrase this? A third thing also is even with the enhanced testing recently only a small percentage of the total population has been tested. That is still testing for active virus only I think. As the capacity for number of daily/weekly tests for the virus has increased there is a corresponding increase in the number of positives.
This increase in the number of positives does not directly mean an increase in the actual infection rate. ( Note- this is not just me speculation, but comes from media reports.) I think this means an increased number of positives comes to some degree more from the increased testing than just from new cases. I hope that is understandable.

Anyway these two items seem more positive than negative to this wannabe.
The whole mask business really confuses me. I honestly dont understand the make believe badge of honor in not wearing a mask. Our neighborhood has been in uproar since the school district floated the idea of making the kids wear masks when school starts. I remember when this 1st started I watched a bunch of interviews with one of south korea's top virologists and he made a comment that i immediately felt would ring true. He said he feared western type countries would have troubles with this long term because certain things just arent socially normal for us like wearing masks or NOT shaking hands.

Theres also a possibility that there is no second wave. Theres a small chance that this follows the same pattern sars1 did and just runs its course. Im pretty sure allot of the 2nd wave models are using data from past influenza outbreaks. Even though the chances are slim its still a possibility. Im less optimistic for a vaccine than most are. There are no known vaccines for any coronavirus, we know that its being rushed (understandable) I honestly dont think I would be in a rush to have my kids vaccinated, and Im no anti-vaccer

So far we have 3 of my wifes friends lose family members. My father inlaw had it. He said the flu was much worse. It took forever for him to get over it though. One of my old partners who's in his mid 30's said he honestly thought he was going to die.

• Sad

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
There are new changes to stores everytime I venture out it seems.
Menards requires a face covering to enter the store. You bring your own or buy one from them. Hardly anyone wears them right and it defeats the purpose entirely.
I made a parts run yesterday and the shop made me give them my name and contact number before being helped. I’m guessing so I can be called if someone turns up sick around the time I was here?

• Wow

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
There are new changes to stores everytime I venture out it seems.
Menards requires a face covering to enter the store. You bring your own or buy one from them. Hardly anyone wears them right and it defeats the purpose entirely.
I made a parts run yesterday and the shop made me give them my name and contact number before being helped. I’m guessing so I can be called if someone turns up sick around the time I was here?
I would assume its for contact tracing.

Reactions: skjl47

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Im less optimistic for a vaccine than most are. There are no known vaccines for any coronavirus, we know that its being rushed (understandable) I honestly dont think I would be in a rush to have my kids vaccinated, and Im no anti-vaccer
Hello; Good points. I do fear some are banking on a good effective vaccine being available by late fall or early winter. The vaccine "experts" add some cautions when these fast track predictions are made but the cautions may not be given the weight they deserve. A safe and effective vaccine is not yet a for sure done deal and the quiet cautions should not be ignored.
I get that a new theoretical genetic process of vaccine development is the hope and it is my understanding this has not yet been successful. I also hope they can make it work as this will be a new technology and a game changer for all vaccines if the theory is sound.

I am not yet sure if I would take such a new type vaccine. Being old and at greater risk might spur me to try it. My odds are bad for surviving the infection as around 80% or so of the deaths from the covid19 virus are us older people. There is some apparent risk for children but so far it is very low. I will have to weigh the risk from the virus compared to potential risks of a new vaccine having had a much shorter length of trial period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store