Ebola round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
On another note, I drew out money to pay for 7 cords of firewood at $345 a cord and to pay help to stack it. That was a lot of money I laundered and ironed. :) :) Thought of getting a UV light, but it takes 10-20 seconds to sanitize anything (the ones I checked out). I prefer writing checks rather than dealing with cash. But then I force someone else to go to the bank to cash the check, unless they have an App to deposit remotely.

I'm getting more used to the virtual stuff....Zoom meetings for church and doctor visits. Virtual choir. Saw a 30 piano virtual performance with pianists from all over the world today during a virtual church meeting. Gave me some ideas. I've got to go practice now :)

Reactions: Jexnell

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
2nd wave ? The 1st one isnt over. Flattening the cure was only meant to delay the spread as to not overwhelm the healthcare systems. Its still raging in some countries.
I work in health care facilities, screened every morning, temp taken, and I wear a medical mask all day while on site. One of my co-workers wife is also the lead respiratory therapist at the local hospital. I understand exactly why these protocols have been put in place.

Hello; Yes I see the distinction. The initial wave of infections is slowed in some places but still continues. I guess it is semantics to a degree but maybe the first wave has not paused enough to be over?
It is exactly that, semantics. IMO it is all one big wave, with a long lasting ripple effect. Clearly the initial wave must be considered over by some, or why open things up again? Or is it just slowed down enough in some parts of the world, to open things up, and then we all hold our breath and wait & see if/when the next big wave arrives? Rhetorical questions, just thinking out loud. Where I work it seems like the goal posts get moved on a daily basis, I can no longer keep up.

UV, heat and humidity were said to greatly shorten the live of the virus outside of a human host. I don't see the heat part working so well as we have spreed going on in hot parts of the world..?‍♂

As far as being outside, the more diluted the air stream, the better, but one can certainly still catch covid outside if you come into a contact zone where people are shedding the virus. I believe the heat/humidity part only comes into effect once the virus is outside of a human body.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I work in health care facilities, screened every morning, temp taken, and I wear a medical mask all day while on site. One of my co-workers wife is also the lead respiratory therapist at the local hospital. I understand exactly why these protocols have been put in place.

It is exactly that, semantics. IMO it is all one big wave, with a long lasting ripple effect. Clearly the initial wave must be considered over by some, or why open things up again? Or is it just slowed down enough in some parts of the world, to open things up, and then we all hold our breath and wait & see if/when the next big wave arrives? Rhetorical questions, just thinking out loud. Where I work it seems like the goal posts get moved on a daily basis, I can no longer keep up.

As far as being outside, the more diluted the air stream, the better, but one can certainly still catch covid outside if you come into a contact zone where people are shedding the virus. I believe the heat/humidity part only comes into effect once the virus is outside of a human body.
Ok

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hello; The things I have been hearing is contracting the virus outdoors is a very low chance. The air can move the virus around and dilute it is one thing. The UV rays on a sunny day is another ( even some UV on a cloudy day) .
At least one information source stated that being in a small enclosed space with an infected person for a while is the more likely way to be infected without actually touching an infected person. Say you are riding around in a car with all the windows closed for a while, then you will have a better chance of breathing in enough virus to be infected
Oh i would imagine that the chances are very low. I was wondering if its been spoken about by the media/dr's lately.

The problem or at least fear i have with opening up now has to do with the testing. I know florida has only tested something like 500k out of the 22 million and just like ny the testing was on people with definite symptoms. Im not sure we have a handle on asymptomatic's or people that had minor symptoms. I guess time will tell.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
We heard from the scientists on the same day that Trump told us to inject bleach into our veins to combat covid19, so may have gotten lost.
UV, heat and humidity were said to greatly shorten the live of the virus outside of a human host. I don't see the heat part working so well as we have spreed going on in hot parts of the world..?‍♂
Well, take Panama. Crowded and dirty. Traditionally plagued by malaria and fevers.
Yeah, the heat won't be enough.

Here we had a really hot period during the initial international spread. High 80's up to 90 and quite dry.
It's semi-rural here, so no crowding. It's also about the cleanest town in the SJV AFAIK.
Our losses have been staggeringly LOW compared to most places.

Out of a million people, our county has lost a dozen folks, all elderly to me, and I am 65.
I think we lost one who was just 60.

We have a lot of nursing homes here. You'd be amazed. Luxurious. My mom was in one with 5-star food and 24-7 service. Old folks on the coast are selling out for millions and moving inland to warmer places like this.

Unless there is something new in today's paper, I don't think we've lost any young folks yet.
This is a lucky break for our town so far. I am praying it holds out.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The latest numbers of confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 cases in Canada as of 4:00 a.m. on May 24, 2020:

There are 83,621 confirmed and presumptive cases in Canada.

_ Quebec: 46,838 confirmed (including 3,940 deaths, 14,044 resolved)

_ Ontario: 25,040 confirmed (including 2,048 deaths, 19,146 resolved)

_ Alberta: 6,818 confirmed (including 135 deaths, 5,869 resolved)

_ British Columbia: 2,517 confirmed (including 157 deaths, 2,057 resolved)

_ Nova Scotia: 1,049 confirmed (including 58 deaths, 969 resolved)

_ Saskatchewan: 630 confirmed (including 7 deaths, 535 resolved)

_ Manitoba: 281 confirmed (including 7 deaths, 268 resolved), 11 presumptive

_ Newfoundland and Labrador: 260 confirmed (including 3 deaths, 254 resolved)

_ New Brunswick: 121 confirmed (including 120 resolved)

_ Prince Edward Island: 27 confirmed (including 27 resolved)

_ Repatriated Canadians: 13 confirmed (including 13 resolved)

_ Yukon: 11 confirmed (including 11 resolved)

_ Northwest Territories: 5 confirmed (including 5 resolved)

_ Nunavut: No confirmed cases

_ Total: 83,621 (11 presumptive, 83,610 confirmed including 6,355 deaths, 43,318 resolved)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
We heard from the scientists on the same day that Trump told us to inject bleach into our veins to combat covid19, so may have gotten lost.
Hello; OK, the things that kill or degrade the virus all have to do so outside the body. Once the virus is inside a persons body some other system has to take over. So far we only for sure have the human immune system. There appear to be some things which aid the immune system in it's task. Being fit from regular exercise, a good diet, getting enough sleep and the like are among things that help us fight off illness in a general way and the hope is these work with the covid19 as well.
There is some speculation that a vitamin D supplement may be an aid. ( Note- if memory serves D is an oil soluble vitamin so some caution needs to be taken so as to not overdose. For water soluble vitamins such as C your body eliminates any excess so no overdose) I take a multi vitamin which has D among other things and a separate D as well. I am old and this is suggested for us older folks.

There is at least one prescription drug combo being used, hydroxychloroquine (sp) in combination with some others. If it does anything positive the current speculation is it is only really effective when used early in the infection. By the time you wind up on a ventilator it is apparently too late to take it. I do not know personally one way or another how effective it can be, but will consider taking it if I am diagnosed with covid19. Much will depend on the state of my health as there are some folks for whom side effects are risky. I will quiz my doctor about it. It has been around over 65 years and the side effects are well known.

Back to killing the virus outside the body. UV is considered to be effective fairly quickly. Less than two minutes in the sun I think. I try to grab a shopping cart that is outside in the sun when shopping. I have a couple of dust masks I have been reusing. One strategy is to leave the mask I just used on the dash of my vehicle out in the sun for a few hours. This should help disinfect the interior of the car as well. ( note- I do not have any extra tint on my windows. I am not sure if the factory glass blocks UV to any degree for sure. That might lessen my strategy effectiveness some if the glass does block UV much.)
The other thing about the dash of a vehicle is the heat. My understanding is heat around 135 degrees F will kill the virus for sure. (Perhaps someone will know the true effective heat that outright kills the virus) Even if the dash does not get to such a temp, I figure the heat may help degrade the virus to some degree.
Lastly I try to rotate the use of the masks. Use one mask one day and wait a couple of days before using it again.

About the notion Trump told people to inject bleach into themselves. I did happen to be watching that televised covid19 update. He looked over to the doctor experts and asked them a question about doing such a thing. I paraphrase it this way. He said something like we know bleach kills the virus, then looked over to the doctors and asked if something like that is possible to inject into people. My take is he was asking if such a thing is possible from the assembled doctor experts and not that he recommended actually doing so. The doctors then explained as how it can not be done safely. I later saw how this story was spreading with the facts twisted around and was glad I had seen the actual episode.

I have been wiping down packages and some groceries with a Clorox/dish soap solution. When I go shopping I have a place designated in my house to sit the stuff I bring in from the outside. I have a plastic tub into which I put some Dove dish soap and a dollop of bleach. I run some hot water into the tub and use a washcloth with that solution to wipe down things that can be safely wiped down. I keep the washcloth wrung out but still damp. I also do not dry off the wiped surfaces. I let them air dry as it can take some seconds for the bleach to have an effect. I do use the washcloth to wipe down any house surfaces I may touch when coming home from a shopping trip. Bottom line the virus can be killed outside of the body and on surfaces.

Note- the more recent announcements are that contaminated surfaces are now considered to be a smaller infection risk. Not zero as pointed out by another wannabe, but not as risky as previously thought. The trick with surfaces is to avoid touching your vulnerable areas after touching a suspect surface. Try to not touch any body part with a mucus membrane. Eyes, nose or mouth. (maybe anus as well?)

I add the dish soap because it has a good detergent action. Detergents break down oil films. The virus has a layer of lipids that are a type of oil if memory serves. Detergent action can break down that oil layer and damage the virus. My guess is this is why the suggestion to wash our hands is so often made. It is not just the running water washing off the virus but also the detergent action of soap. In fact I concentrate on getting a good lather of soap all over my hands and then do a final rinse.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I was watching tv and saw a reference to a CDC site called covidview. Here is a link

I just found the site and have not gone tru it yet, but will.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There is some speculation that a vitamin D supplement may be an aid. ( Note- if memory serves D is an oil soluble vitamin so some caution needs to be taken so as to not overdose.
Anything under 10K IU daily would be little to no risk, for the vast majority. Vitamin D toxicity – a very rare cause of increased plasma calcium

Vitamin D Toxicity Rare in People Who Take Supplements, Mayo Clinic Study Finds

Once your body is loaded, as in every fat cell, it spills out into other areas and becomes further available to the body's response to an attack on the immune system. I believe that the vitamin D council now recommends 4K IU daily. But as previously posted in order to maximize vitamin D uptake, you also need to ensure adequate levels of magnesium, along with K2. Magnesium has been recently proven to be just as important as D, for proper metabolism of vitamin D. So taking a large dose of vitamin D, while low on magnesium, will not have nearly the same effect, as having adequate levels of both.

Magnesium optimizes vitamin D status, study shows

Role of Magnesium in Vitamin D Activation and Function

Disclaimer; I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. Do your own research and check with your family doctor before taking any form of supplements.

Last edited:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hello; OK, the things that kill or degrade the virus all have to do so outside the body. Once the virus is inside a persons body some other system has to take over. So far we only for sure have the human immune system. There appear to be some things which aid the immune system in it's task. Being fit from regular exercise, a good diet, getting enough sleep and the like are among things that help us fight off illness in a general way and the hope is these work with the covid19 as well.
There is some speculation that a vitamin D supplement may be an aid. ( Note- if memory serves D is an oil soluble vitamin so some caution needs to be taken so as to not overdose. For water soluble vitamins such as C your body eliminates any excess so no overdose) I take a multi vitamin which has D among other things and a separate D as well. I am old and this is suggested for us older folks.

There is at least one prescription drug combo being used, hydroxychloroquine (sp) in combination with some others. If it does anything positive the current speculation is it is only really effective when used early in the infection. By the time you wind up on a ventilator it is apparently too late to take it. I do not know personally one way or another how effective it can be, but will consider taking it if I am diagnosed with covid19. Much will depend on the state of my health as there are some folks for whom side effects are risky. I will quiz my doctor about it. It has been around over 65 years and the side effects are well known.

Back to killing the virus outside the body. UV is considered to be effective fairly quickly. Less than two minutes in the sun I think. I try to grab a shopping cart that is outside in the sun when shopping. I have a couple of dust masks I have been reusing. One strategy is to leave the mask I just used on the dash of my vehicle out in the sun for a few hours. This should help disinfect the interior of the car as well. ( note- I do not have any extra tint on my windows. I am not sure if the factory glass blocks UV to any degree for sure. That might lessen my strategy effectiveness some if the glass does block UV much.)
The other thing about the dash of a vehicle is the heat. My understanding is heat around 135 degrees F will kill the virus for sure. (Perhaps someone will know the true effective heat that outright kills the virus) Even if the dash does not get to such a temp, I figure the heat may help degrade the virus to some degree.
Lastly I try to rotate the use of the masks. Use one mask one day and wait a couple of days before using it again.

About the notion Trump told people to inject bleach into themselves. I did happen to be watching that televised covid19 update. He looked over to the doctor experts and asked them a question about doing such a thing. I paraphrase it this way. He said something like we know bleach kills the virus, then looked over to the doctors and asked if something like that is possible to inject into people. My take is he was asking if such a thing is possible from the assembled doctor experts and not that he recommended actually doing so. The doctors then explained as how it can not be done safely. I later saw how this story was spreading with the facts twisted around and was glad I had seen the actual episode.

I have been wiping down packages and some groceries with a Clorox/dish soap solution. When I go shopping I have a place designated in my house to sit the stuff I bring in from the outside. I have a plastic tub into which I put some Dove dish soap and a dollop of bleach. I run some hot water into the tub and use a washcloth with that solution to wipe down things that can be safely wiped down. I keep the washcloth wrung out but still damp. I also do not dry off the wiped surfaces. I let them air dry as it can take some seconds for the bleach to have an effect. I do use the washcloth to wipe down any house surfaces I may touch when coming home from a shopping trip. Bottom line the virus can be killed outside of the body and on surfaces.

Note- the more recent announcements are that contaminated surfaces are now considered to be a smaller infection risk. Not zero as pointed out by another wannabe, but not as risky as previously thought. The trick with surfaces is to avoid touching your vulnerable areas after touching a suspect surface. Try to not touch any body part with a mucus membrane. Eyes, nose or mouth. (maybe anus as well?)

I add the dish soap because it has a good detergent action. Detergents break down oil films. The virus has a layer of lipids that are a type of oil if memory serves. Detergent action can break down that oil layer and damage the virus. My guess is this is why the suggestion to wash our hands is so often made. It is not just the running water washing off the virus but also the detergent action of soap. In fact I concentrate on getting a good lather of soap all over my hands and then do a final rinse.
From what i understand the dish soap is the way to go. Something about how it quickly breaks down the fatty portions of the virus that holds it together. My sons immunoligist recommended we use rubbing alcohol instead of bleach to wipe things down.

I came across an interesting vid last night I'll pm it you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store