MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Gosh he is a handsome boy! I was never too impressed with the white/silvers, but he has really changed my mind. His fins are so nice and long too!

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I especially like the white/silver in direct contrast with the orange/gold seam.

The contrast makes both look better, IMHO.

Having both would be awesome! Of course, it would make me really want to save & grow out fry from a mixed spawn, just to see what you get.

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Gosh he is a handsome boy! I was never too impressed with the white/silvers, but he has really changed my mind. His fins are so nice and long too!
Thank you! I'm more a fan of Stalsbergis than Rivs, but I've been searching high and low for a good quality White Saum Riv for a while :)

Having both would be awesome! Of course, it would make me really want to save & grow out fry from a mixed spawn, just to see what you get.
This is what I'm hoping for! thankfully all the females left are golds, and more thankfully my dominant male is a white hahaha
from everything I've read, a White Saum x Gold Saum cross would lead to a portion of white seamed fry... at the same time, wild caught golds can breed together and throw white seamed fry as well (again, this is just from everything I've read over the last couple years, and could be wrong as this is my first attempt at breeding Rivs)

Reactions: MrsE88

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
not a whole lot going on here lately...
one female has had her tube out for a few days, more some days than others, but haven't seen any pairing or mating yet
don't mind the dirty glass and air bubbles, these were pre-water change lol

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5188.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

Reactions: aztsm and Stanzzzz7

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
That one female looks close. Mine darkens like that and gets the white bands on either side of the spot pre-spawn. I've also noticed that her cheeks (or maybe it's called operculum?) go white when spawning and defending eggs/fry.

The spawning tube is also a pretty good indicator.

Truthfully I don't see as much courtship behaviour between the male/female than what I'd consider "typical" for cichlids.

There is far less build-up before a spawn than I am used to.

So what I am getting at is don't be surprised if you come home one day and she's guarding eggs.

Both times it has happened in my tank it was earlier than expected.

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
DarylMac DarylMac I've read up and heard a lot about the female's cheeks or lower jaw going almost pure white while the rest of her gets dark before breeding. Stanzzzz7 mentioned that to me a while ago

As far as lack of courtship, I can't say I've read or heard much of that! that's interesting, only because a month or so ago the male was attempting to court one of the females (I've got absolutely nooo idea which though lol) by flaring up and showing off

The females are definitely paying more attention to him, and one in particular is always super dark and hiding behind the flower pot on the left side... ever since removing the fake leaves they have been more active and muchhh less skittish

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
so between ball starting the last few months, and having my car totaled ~6 weeks ago, I haven't exactly been the best at keeping up with my tank. I have unfortunately sold off all of my excess equipment (tanks, filters, lights, fish, etc) to help keep out with purchasing a new car, but have kept these guys in hopes that they will breed soon

The male has been showing slight signs of interest with the female in photo as I mentioned last post, and every time they start to do the dance the other two females would come in to the picture and surely get chased away. Since I can't exactly afford to upgrade the tank to allow for enough room for them all due to my current situation, I figured the best bet to get them to pair off would be to leave just the M&F in the tank together and keep an eye on them

the pics were post water change, and they began flairing gills and further exposing the tubes as the night went on... hoping for some surprises when I get home in the next couple days

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Well, once they start, they won't stop - at least for awhile. I've heard that older fish sometimes spawn less frequently or stop altogether.

Mine are in their 3rd spawn I think?

A 4th is probably right around the corner.

Something I've noticed: my female always initiates spawning, and compared to some other species I have kept, there is very little if any courtship. Leia (my female) will drop her tube in less than a day and Bruce (my male) shows up to do his part.

Dont be surprised if you come home to a spawn one day with little or no notice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store