Educating MFK on Africans!

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
rallysb1tch said:
*giggle* When I read the title of this thread it reminded me of something that happened at a LFS a few weeks ago. Rallysman and I were looking around and I noticed that the mixed African Cichlids were on sale. Without thinking (I was in FISH MODE) I yelled "Hey look they've got Africans on sale!" Of course people took it the wrong way and started laughing at me! :lipsseale Thanks for taking the time to post the info on the cichlids, it is very helpful.

:ROFL: thats funny

yah no prob. =)

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
General:

Haplochromis sp. "hippo pointe" is rather new cichlid native to Lake Victoria in Africa. Males have a lovely red blush, but will also exhibit some blue and shades of green. Females are a light olive green with some dark markings on the side. Males get up to about 3.5 to 4 inches while females stay smaller at around 2 to 2.5". Like all Haplochromines, this fish is a maternal mouthbrooder.

I have seen sources which note that Haplochromis sp. "hippo pointe" is a threatened species. To be honest, you could easily say this about most Haplochromines in Lake Victoria. Because of the introduction of the Nile Perch, over 400 species are threatened. It's a sad fact for a cichlid hobbyist.

Like other Lake Victoria haps, they grow very quickly and will breed while quite young. I have had females spawn at only 6 months of age, but spawns are larger and more successful when females are nine months old or more.

Habitat:

I haven't found much locale information for this fish on the internet. Many Victoria haps are found over the muddy and sandy areas of the lakes and I would guess that this would be similar.

Supposedly, this fish is found near Hippo Pointe, an area where a bunch of hippos are found. Hippos (the large mammal) are extremely aggressive and territorial and kill more people in African than crocodiles. You'd have to be one very brave collector to swim around with these 2 ton killers.

Care:

General:

Haplochromis sp. "hippo pointe" is easy to keep, but this species is pretty aggressive. It will often dominate Malawian haps. I kept eight Haplochromis sp. "hippo pointe" with a breeding colony of six Aulonocara marleri. Although I didn't see any fighting, the Hippo pointe male quickly took charge of the the tank even though he was quite a bit smaller than the marleri male. It's a good idea to provide caves and hiding places so that females and subdominant males have a place to retreat.

I kept mine in neutral water of medium hardness. I'm told that water conditions in Lake Victoria are highly variable, so this fish should be quite adaptable.

Feeding:

Feeding Haplochromis sp. "hippo pointe" is not problem. They readily accept flakes, pellets, and frozen food. I fed Doromin, sprirulina flakes and Agaudine dura-flakes.

Breeding:

As mentioned previously, this fish is a precocious breeder and will start breeding at only six months of age. For best results, keep one or two males to 4-6 females. Provide a flat slate for breeding. I have noticed that this fish will breed after a water change, especially if followed by a low pressure system building as part of a storm. They breed in the standard Hap fashion using the T-position.

info:gcca

H_hippo-pointe.jpg

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
General:

Astatotilapia latifasciata, often sold as Haplochromis "zebra obliquedens" is an attractive, barred African cichlid first typed by Regan in 1929.
There is quite a bit of variation in the appearance of this fish. Bars vary from brownish to black and the underlying background color varies from creamy yellow to golden. Poor fish exhibit uneven bars or blotches. Larger males may exhibit a red blush on the breast portion. Occasionally, Astatotilapia latifasciata is confused with Haplochromis sp. "44" as males of that species also have red on the breast. I have observed large males without any red on the breast, but with a blue sheen on the face and gill covers.

Males top out at about five inches; females are somewhat smaller at 4 inches maximum length.

Habitat

Astatotilapia latifasciata is native to Lake Nawampasa and Lake Nioga in central Uganda, north of Lake Victoria. One source mentions that these two lakes are connected by a swampy area in the rainy season and that is why Astatotilapia latifasciata is found in both locations.

Care:

Astatotilapia latifasciata presents no problems. Neutral to moderately hard water is best and regular partial water changes are recommended. Some Astatotilapia latifasciata males exhibit aggression towards other males and sometimes females, so provide ample hiding places.

Feeding:

Astatotilapia latifasciata is an easy to feed, hungry fish. In the wild, these fish are insectivores. In the aquarium, they will stuff themselves with just about anything. I fed cichlid flake, spirulina flake, pellets, mysis shrimp and plankton. Be careful not to overfeed them.

info:gcca

Astatotilapia_latifasciata.jpg

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
General:

Haplochromis ishmaeli is mouthbrooding cichlid native to Lake Victoria in Africa. This fish has been in the hobby for years, but few cichlid aquarists are aware of what a stunningly beautiful fish this is!

In general, Victorian Haps are given short shrift by many hobbyists. Some Victorians are just as colorful as their Malawian and Tanganyikan counterparts. Perhaps more interesting, many of the newest fish-- many of which lack scientific names-- are coming from this lake.

Haplochromis ishmaeli was first typed in by Bourlenger in 1906 from specimens collected in what is now Uganda. I have heard that this fish is extinct in the wild, but I have not been able to verify this.

Habitat:

This fish is primarily found over the muddy bottom of the lake. Few individuals were found over sandy bottoms. Haplochromis ishmaeli is found at depths up to 9 meters.

Care:

Haplochromis ishmaeli is quite easy to keep. Like most African cichlids, it appreciates clean, hard water. This fish is fairly aggressive, however, and you should only keep it with tankmates that can "take it." I kept six of these fish along with three Pseudotropheus daktari, six Crytocara moorii and some dwarf bristlenose plecos in a 40 gallon breeder. I think this crowded arrangement diminished aggression.

Even at the juvenile stage, they show aggressive tendencies, so be forewarned. Provide cover for the females. If a female is not ready to spawn, the male may pursue her and damage her severely. I have read that these fish grow over 5" in length, but at one year old, my largest male is just over 2.25" in length. They are slow growers.

Feeding:

In the wild, Haplochromis ishmaeli were found to feed almost exclusively on mollusks, occasionally snacking on an insect or two.

Fortunately, in the home aquarium, this fish will happily gobble a variety of prepared foods-- flakes, sticks, etc. They are very good eaters. I fed mine Tetra Cichlid Flakes, New Life Spectrum, HBH Graze and Tetra Cichlid Sticks.

Breeding:

It is easy to tell the male from the female. Males hae bright yellow splashes on the flanks, a bluish-grey head and vivid black stripes. On the male, the tale is an orange-red color.

Females have brown stripes over a golden tank background and lack yellow and blue coloring. Sub-dominant males will also look similar to females, but the stripes will be vivid enough that you should be able to tell the difference.

info: gcca

haplochromis_ishmael.jpg

Reactions: Jayme Mariee

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Caveman said:
Where are all the MONSTER African Cichlid predators? :confused:
like I said, you gotta learn the basics first, thats how you learn things!! :D
I'll get to them just as I get to the not-so basic Africans just give me time, I'll try and update once a week and I do have school and work so its kinda hard to do alot at once be patient with me please!! :grinyes:

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
Ash said:
like I said, you gotta learn the basics first, thats how you learn things!! :D
I'll get to them just as I get to the not-so basic Africans just give me time, I'll try and update once a week and I do have school and work so its kinda hard to do alot at once be patient with me please!! :grinyes:
Come on Pokemon that aint cool to tease me like that.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
This one can almost pass for a pike cichlid.

wa_140.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store