Eheim jager heater problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Yeah I watched it before using, but still couldn't reach to the temperature I'm setting

The only thing I can recommend is turning it all the way on and watch the temperature. You should do this in a 5g bucket, but I have done it in a tank with fish as well....when the temperature gets past where you want it and the heater is still on, turn the blue ring back until the heater turns off. Then watch it. When the tank cools the heater should turn on. You can start with warmed up water....if you do a 5g bucket....
Get a good thermometer. ...buy one and return it if you have too....

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
The only thing I can recommend is turning it all the way on and watch the temperature. You should do this in a 5g bucket, but I have done it in a tank with fish as well....when the temperature gets past where you want it and the heater is still on, turn the blue ring back until the heater turns off. Then watch it. When the tank cools the heater should turn on. You can start with warmed up water....if you do a 5g bucket....
Get a good thermometer. ...buy one and return it if you have too....
I have two 150 watt heates one is the same one the OP has. I set mine to 89 and I get 80-81 out of mine. I factor in the fact I have an open canopy setup and more heat loss. In the summer it's always spot on only does this when the air is dense. This is in a basement btw.

DANTNOID LOVER

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2015
I have two 150 watt heates one is the same one the OP has. I set mine to 89 and I get 80-81 out of mine. I factor in the fact I have an open canopy setup and more heat loss. In the summer it's always spot on only does this when the air is dense. This is in a basement btw.
So I should cover the tank and sump fully? And what do u guys use for lid?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
So I should cover the tank and sump fully? And what do u guys use for lid?
No how will the fish breathe you will crash the nitrogen cycle. They make lids for tanks that have openings or you can diy. The more heat you trap the more the temps will be stable. Kind of like driving a car in the winter. It's warm inside but crack some of the Windows the temps will drop. Same concept here. That's why with lids you won't lose as much water with evaporation as well the condensation will build up on the lids. I

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
You could get a heater controller so that you don't have to replace your unit and so that you know you are getting proper temps.

Reactions: boldtogether

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
No how will the fish breathe you will crash the nitrogen cycle. They make lids for tanks that have openings or you can diy. The more heat you trap the more the temps will be stable. Kind of like driving a car in the winter. It's warm inside but crack some of the Windows the temps will drop. Same concept here. That's why with lids you won't lose as much water with evaporation as well the condensation will build up on the lids. I
You aren't going to crash anything by covering the tank since you have a sump. If you are worried about aeration, but an airston in the sump.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You aren't going to crash anything by covering the tank since you have a sump. If you are worried about aeration, but an airston in the sump.
Yeah the OP said should he cover the tank and sump. I said no and suggested a lid in his tank or a diy one.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Down and dirty but the eggcrate keeps the thin acrylic from bending with the condensation.
Yeah the OP said should he cover the tank and sump. I said no and suggested a lid in his tank or a diy one.
Yeah I read that. And telling him he could crash his cycle is far fetched and a bit alarmist unless he silicones both tops down with an air tite seal....and even then...you gotta change the water sometime.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Down and dirty but the eggcrate keeps the thin acrylic from bending with the condensation.

Yeah I read that. And telling him he could crash his cycle is far fetched and a bit alarmist unless he silicones both tops down with an air tite seal....and even then...you gotta change the water sometime.
Thats an awesome DIY setup for a lid and I was just saying that it can crash it yes a little far fetched but I know some people who don't know too much about fish do some crazy stuff.

I use pexiglass because I'm cheap lol

Reactions: boldtogether
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store