endli not...breathing?

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
hi i was feeding my endli frozen fish earlier today and i noticed he was approaching a piece of fish but his mouth was closed. a while after he wasn't noticeably full. and i noticed my othe polys noticeably pump water over their gills even when idling causing the mouth to open and close slightly. this endli, nothing, his jaws stay shut. im worried he might have his jaws locked shut or maybe im just freaking out. thanks in advance.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
He's probably fine. Just not breathing as fast as others. He may also have either been full, or not interested in the food. If you look very closely at his gill plates, they'll be moving. Sometimes you have to look very close to notice it, but as long as he's alive now, he's getting oxygen.

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
here is a gif of him. no mouth movement at all.

image.gif

harvs95

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2008
A, A
He's probably fine. Just not breathing as fast as others. He may also have either been full, or not interested in the food. If you look very closely at his gill plates, they'll be moving. Sometimes you have to look very close to notice it, but as long as he's alive now, he's getting oxygen.
well i skip a day before feeding day itself. so he was probably hungry. it just doesnt look right to me, he does seem fine though albeit a little thin

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
He should still be fine. Just when you get a chance, sit down for 30 minutes or so and watch him carefully. I'm sure once you do that you be reassured he's just keeping his mouth shut.

Reactions: harvs95

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
heres my 2 cents...if he isn't breathing...he'd be dead sooner rather than later lol. My delhezi does the same thing...looks dead to the world but there is slight motion behind the gill plates, especially after I watch him free willy it to the surface for a breath.

as Dr. B said, just sit and watch his behavior but I agree he's fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store