Enough lighting?

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I just ordered some Anubis and Java fern so I can start attacking it to my driftwood to add a "planted tank" look to my 75. As of now I just have a marineland led strip... I know this is not ideal at all but for these plants is it enough? I leave it on for about 11-12 hours a day... BUT I have a finnex 24/7 planted+ 24 inch I could also add if needed. I was maybe thinking have the finnex on low for 6-8 hours a day while my marineland stays how it is... Also would fertilisers be necessary? It would be hard for me to dose everyday.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Looking at the finnex I can't actually lower intensity of it so maybe like 4 hours? Or try and dim it somehow

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Try the Marineland led first Anubias and Java Fern don't require intense light or ferts
I have a large Java fern in there now and it's been in the tank for a while now but it doesn't seem to really grow or die... Some algae but mostly from the lfs when I got it... But yes I agree I think I should try just the marineland first... What signs should I look out for to know if I need more light?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a large Java fern in there now and it's been in the tank for a while now but it doesn't seem to really grow or die... Some algae but mostly from the lfs when I got it... But yes I agree I think I should try just the marineland first... What signs should I look out for to know if I need more light?

If you notice any slight discoloration of the leaves.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Anubis and java fern are low light plants. The finnex light will be much better it’s in the spectrum, and will Provide sufficientl par for the plants to grow. I would add fertilizer once a week though, if you truly want ypur planted tank to thrive. You start out with low light plants, but then you want to add some more or as your plants get bigger there won’t be enough nutrients in the water for the plants and they will start to die back. That’s my take on it.

Reactions: tlindsey

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Also a correct photo period should be set with a timer. I like to start out with 7 hrs of light and add more from there. Good luck!

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I'm gonna keep my marineland on there since its the only light I have that fully lights the tank... I have my finnex on there set up to come on at same time but go off after 4 hours... And it will come back on 1 hour before they both go out

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Anubis and java fern are low light plants. The finnex light will be much better it’s in the spectrum, and will Provide sufficientl par for the plants to grow. I would add fertilizer once a week though, if you truly want ypur planted tank to thrive. You start out with low light plants, but then you want to add some more or as your plants get bigger there won’t be enough nutrients in the water for the plants and they will start to die back. That’s my take on it.
What fertilisers do you recommend? I have excel on hand but nothing else

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I use excel and flourish. I start off with about half the recommended doseing and go from there. Getting the doseing right is important because if you start out with too much fertilizer you will run into algae issues. Getting the light dialed into the amount of fertilizer doseing is important too. Just go slow with it and add more ass needed. Eventually you will notice that a over the week after you dose the plants are starting to fade color. Then it’s time to dose again. I prefer to dose half the amount more frequently rather then dumping twice as much in less frequently.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store