Ever been bitten by a snake?

Ophiuchus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
AL
www.ShiningSnakes.com
Tesla_HV;612824; said:
So, do you ever get used to the bites? I work with high voltage and have been shocked many many times. I can't say that I enjoy it but it is getting less of a big deal than at first.
In a way, yeah. I mean, I try to avoid it when I can, but unless it a big herp, they rarely even break the skin and there are much worse things to be bitten by than small snakes and lizards. I'd rather be bitten by a 9' python any day than a bird, rodent, cat or dog.

Speaking of dogs, more people get attacked by dogs each year than any herp, venomous or otherwise. And the injuries are far more severe.

smmfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
NEBRASKA
I have been bitten from a 4' ball python I used to have. It drew blood. But never really hurt.
My lfs has a baby ball for $80, I think I might just pick him up.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
MDC_Leviathan;612941; said:
Not really...I kinda feel sorry for the snake. Must hurt having that hook in its mouth.
Yo the thing tried to attack my feet i ran away, my friend threwww a stick hit it in the head, and then the snake wiggled and sunk to the bottom of the pond, i was able to snag it, and reel it in. i thought it was dead and since my dad is a taxidermist i was thinkin bout gettin a belt that i would never wear, but instead i let it go. and the hook wasnt in its mouth, last time i checked water snakes dont eat roostertails...i released it in mint condition

Tesla_HV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2006
Having grown up in NW Florida there was a legend going around about a kid who was killed by bites from multiple water moccasins after a storm had raised the level of the river that he was swimming in. If you've ever seen the mini-series "Lonesome Dove" you know what I am talking about. Has anyone ever heard of this type of water moccasin behavior?

lovespunaround

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
Spartanburg, SC
I was bitten a few years ago by a hatchling kingsnake and I couldn't feel it. My now-five-foot blood python bit me three times when she was smaller. The last was a year ago when I reached in to change her water and she tagged my wrist. It was the only bite that actually drew more blood than a pinprick.

I rubbed some tattoo ink in it and now I have a constant reminder of Daphne's love :)

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Tesla_HV;613952;613952 said:
Having grown up in NW Florida there was a legend going around about a kid who was killed by bites from multiple water moccasins after a storm had raised the level of the river that he was swimming in. If you've ever seen the mini-series "Lonesome Dove" you know what I am talking about. Has anyone ever heard of this type of water moccasin behavior?
I have a terrible phobia about snakes and would die from a non-venonous bite, The heart attack from shock would do me in. i have been near and around dangerous snakes my whole life and learnt a very healthy respect for them. a few times on our farm we found dead cattle and my horse from cobra or black mamba bites.

I know that scene well it scared the crap outta me and gave me quite a few nightmares.

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
My 3 ' orange phase amazon tree boa and my 2.5 ' jungle carpet python tag me every time my hand or (face) goes near the cage............I just use tongs to feed and a extendable pocket hook to handle them..............they chill when they get out of the cage as long as you dont wiggle your digits infront of them..........and yes they do draw blood, stings for a few secs, but thats it. I could describe it as multiple needle punctures........:D
I love those snakes though, and would never gived them up.

Blub Blub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2006
Virginia
I've never been bitten by a snake, but a 12 lb. poodle bit the hell out of me over a piece of popcorn I didn't even want.:swear: It was dam lucky I like animals.

Brooklynella

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
LI, NY
I've been bitten many times. The worst was a 10' Burmese Python that got the palm of my hand as I was grabbing the water dish.:eek: It hurt like hell and bled like a motherf*cker!:WHOA: Stupidity on my part; I had just changed all of the small animal cages in the pet shop I worked at and the snake thought I was a meal-at least I smelled like a meal.
Once he realized I wasn't edible, he started manipulating his jaw to release his teeth. When he finally worked all of his sharp teeth out of my skin, I found he didn't even loose a tooth! I'm kind of proud of that.;)

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
freeskierrocket;614141; said:
My 3 ' orange phase amazon tree boa and my 2.5 ' jungle carpet python tag me every time my hand or (face) goes near the cage............I just use tongs to feed and a extendable pocket hook to handle them..............they chill when they get out of the cage as long as you dont wiggle your digits infront of them..........and yes they do draw blood, stings for a few secs, but thats it. I could describe it as multiple needle punctures........:D
I love those snakes though, and would never gived them up.
I am going to get another tree boa in a year or two. I love those things. The one I had bit me more times than any other snake or all of them put together for that matter. But I still think they are some of the best snakes you can own. I would love to get a red or an orange. Shoot I'll take any of them, even another garden(*thats what my first one was).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store