Filtration for 300 gallons

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Media yeah those filters are rated empty. Just like those pumps are rated at Zero head pressure.

Head No. It's a closed system. The pressure is created by the water standing in the canister. The pump pressure is what pushes the water up and over the edge of the tank. The pressure produced by the canister intake is in equilibrium with the output when canister is off.
You say all of that just to say that my Jebao DCT-6000 still has more flow than a fx6 and only uses 1 watt of power more. It still doesn't add up to the advantages that you listed. My 40 gallon sump can house more media than all of the canisters that you listed combined. So when you add the need for using multiple canisters vs my 1 submersible pump you're still using more watts than someone running a sump
With comparable flow

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
You're making sumps sound a lot more difficult than they really are. Why?
You had the whole thing custom built with the properly done overflows. That's not a DIY sump or setup. OP specifically stated that he lacked the cash to have that done. Properly drilling acrylic for 2" pipe is bad enough glass is a nightmare.

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
"his is not true if you're running an over flow the water level just has to be under the overflow weir and all you would drain is the over flow." Which he does not have on that tank. As I said earlier. If the tank is setup for over flow that's one thing installing them after does not go well.

Not facts experience nothing more. To many variables in every setup for any of this to be facts. Most of the sump set ups I've worked with had more issues than canisters. Certainly plenty of sumps work well. Certainly canisters that fail and make a huge mess. Canisters have less variables so they tend to be easier for newer hobbyists.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
"his is not true if you're running an over flow the water level just has to be under the overflow weir and all you would drain is the over flow." Which he does not have on that tank. As I said earlier. If the tank is setup for over flow that's one thing installing them after does not go well.

Not facts experience nothing more. To many variables in every setup for any of this to be facts. Most of the sump set ups I've worked with had more issues than canisters. Certainly plenty of sumps work well. Certainly canisters that fail and make a huge mess. Canisters have less variables so they tend to be easier for newer hobbyists.
That's true for any sumped setup. Once the water is under the drain you can service the bulkheads. There are some people that don't even run overflows and just have their water drain into the bulkhead. It's the same premise. Once the water line is under the drain you can do whatever service that needs to be done. He can buy a glassholes overflow kit and have one that works just as well and it's still cheaper than buying an adequate sized canister for a 300 gallon aquarium

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
MadRussian79 MadRussian79
Ah I didn't think about that. You are correct about it being in equilibrium.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Canisters have less variables so they tend to be easier for newer hobbyists.
That's true. But, this thread is about filtration for a 300 gallon tank. As I explained in the 4 part post that I linked to earlier in this thread, for a large tank sumps are lower maintenance and lower cost for better filtration.

If OP is a newer hobbyist setting up a 125 gallon tank, then I would agree with you that a canister is a better fit. But OP is setting up a 300 gallon tank, and he is worried about cost. Well....if cost is an issue, then I think canisters are a poor fit. And you think so, too.

Canister WILL be much more expensive

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
That's true. But, this thread is about filtration for a 300 gallon tank. As I explained in the 4 part post that I linked to earlier in this thread, for a large tank sumps are lower maintenance and lower cost for better filtration.

If OP is a newer hobbyist setting up a 125 gallon tank, then I would agree with you that a canister is a better fit. But OP is setting up a 300 gallon tank, and he is worried about cost. Well....if cost is an issue, then I think canisters are a poor fit. And you think so, too.
That's if you do a DIY sump. Pretty sure your sump cost a bit more than few FX5s or even pro3s. As far as better filtration? You can put more media yes. Does it help? Depends on the set up, stock level, media used, etc. My 265 ran no issues with Rays and discus on canisters. Way less hassle than my 90 reef with the sump. In my professional tank cleaning I had basically the same experience. Probably came on a bit stronger than intended.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
That's if you do a DIY sump. Pretty sure your sump cost a bit more than few FX5s or even pro3s. As far as better filtration? You can put more media yes. Does it help? Depends on the set up, stock level, media used, etc. My 265 ran no issues with Rays and discus on canisters. Way less hassle than my 90 reef with the sump. In my professional tank cleaning I had basically the same experience. Probably came on a bit stronger than intended.
Freshwater maintenance is far less strenuous than a reef. And there's no person in the world that can tell me that cleaning a canister is faster and easier than cleaning a sump. I can do a 80% water change in 10 minutes and while it's doing that clean my sump media. You're not cleaning 2-3 canisters in 10 minutes chief. It's Impossible lol especially when considering the size canisters that will filter a 300 gallon tank

Reactions: jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store