Finally getting custom terrarium!! now what monitor/exotic reptile should I get.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
i am finally allowed to get a terrarium after i got two straight 95% in my math exam and test!!! i study hard and waitedfor more than a month!! i'm planning to get a custom made 4 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet or a 4 feet by 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet wooden enclosure for my basement. I was planning to get an yellow ackie but what else is a possble reptile to get???? i'm asking just in case the ackie is too expensive or if I can't get one. I live in CANADA so they are pretty rare. I'm going to a reptile expo and i'm looking for a monitor lizard or something that looks very simular. If i can't get an ackie is there any other monitor that can live in that enclosure. what is the dimention of the enclosure for that lizard/monitor??? is there such thing as "terrarium mates" in the reptile hobby. Is it possible to house two different species or subspecies of reptiles together. sorry but i'm more experienced with the fish keeping concept.

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
CONGRATS, and there are some really rare instances where people have successful habitats with multiple species, but these are VERY carefully done giving much thought to the species used. but for most hobbyists and as a general rule most reptiles are happiest when kept in their own enclosures. as far as what monitors would work im not really sure since i dont know too much about monitors but def post pics when you get everything in, and be sure to take your camera with you to the repti expo so you can take a pic if you see anything really cool

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
CONGRATS, and there are some really rare instances where people have successful habitats with multiple species, but these are VERY carefully done giving much thought to the species used. but for most hobbyists and as a general rule most reptiles are happiest when kept in their own enclosures. as far as what monitors would work im not really sure since i dont know too much about monitors but def post pics when you get everything in, and be sure to take your camera with you to the repti expo so you can take a pic if you see anything really cool
thanks

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
See if the guy who's building the cage for you can get you an ackie or two. Doesn't he breed them, or at least know where to get them?

He's not a breeder. He actually asking me where to get more. I'm planning to get one at a reptile expo.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
please don't flame me guys but is there any way i can down grade my plan to a 3.5 by a 20 inch enclosure for a single ackie. My dad is being such a loser in the negotiation and he want it too be smaller. His orginal plan was even smaller! I urged him for an hour to get this dimention!!

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
In all honesty, a minimum sized cage is a minimum sized cage for good reasons.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
the height can be like a 2 feet and a half.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store